Chapter 11

Shiva clenched his jaw tightly. Raavi's sweetness from the videos was coursing through his veins, warming, thawing his heart. He didn't want to remember his chipkali making sure he had an extra cup of dessert, or organizing his cupboard, or throwing herself on the chopping block to save him. He looked at Raavi; her head was bent, refusing to make eye contact with anybody. As much as he wanted to pull the plug and stop this whole thing that Hetal had started, he couldn't peel his eyes away, as the projector screen sprang to life with bunch of Instagram photos of Raavi and Hetal in a market showing off their bangles, posing around the markets and the area around Somnath Beach. At the bottom it said #GradExcursion2015. The screen transitioned itself to a video with cheerful faces of Hetal and Raavi looming on the screen.

"Raavi, where are we, today?" asked Hetal cheerfully filming Raavi, who was wearing a fitted plain sleeveless white Anarkali with a sweetheart neckline and a colorful bandhani dupatta.

"We are in Somnath Beach and nearby markets for the entire day!" said Raavi happily, into the camera. "Shiva, Arjun, yahan aao!" she said, and grabbed them to face the camera, "bata hum kyun yahan pe aaye hain?"

"Dekh, mere chere pe ye camera thamana bandh kar!" Shiva said irritably, which was largely ignored, while Arjun excitedly exclaimed, "we are here for Grad Excursion, pura din chuti aur raat ko...now that couple of us are eighteen," winking and miming drinking sign with his hands.

Hetal continued to film on her camera, as they wandered through the beach, and Raavi excitedly ran up to the warm waters of the beach. She extended her arms and let out a whoop of excitement. She bent down to play with the waves, happily chucking water at anybody and nobody and repeatedly sinking her fingers in the sand. Looking up, she yelled, "Shiva, look I found a pearl!"

"Ayy Gadehdi, beach shore main kaise mila tujhe pearl?" asked Shiva.

"Tu dekh to sahi!" and when he reluctantly came closer for an inspection, she flung sea water in his face, laughing, and then started running away.

Shocked, Shiva sputtered and recovered quickly avowing revenge, "abhi tujhe main mazaa chakata hoon," and he started off in a run, chasing her. He grabbed her by the waist and pulled her back to him. She wiggled and splashed more water at him, laughing, which prompted him to return the favor.

Next, they were at the Chowpatty, Arjun purposefully said "Raavi, I am feeling lucky, so you up for some friendly competition? Whoever eats least amount of pani puri has to buy everyone else something from the market."

"Yes! But I bet Raavi looses, because she hates spicy food," said Hetal cheekily instigating both Raavi and Arjun, before teasing Shiva, "Shiva, will you help Raavi, like always?"

"No, not this time! I am playing solo to win!" said Raavi competitively. But exactly two pani puris later, she started coughing and hiccupping profusely.

"Bhaiyya, pani do!" Shiva said, turning and glaring at Raavi, "kya kar rahi hai chipkali, aram se kha. Ye pani pe le aur ye plain Aloo Tikki kha," as Raavi nodded.

"To nobody's surprise, Raavi lost!" said Vasu smirking, as Hetal zoomed in on his face and then on Raavi's frowning red face. "Gather around, everybody, and make your wishes..."

The video transitioned to the colorful markets nearby the beach. It was crowded, as everyone had gathered for afternoon shopping. Hetal captured every moment to show her mother later, but first...She yelled "Raavi, Shiva, look there!" Vasu and Arjun emerged looking ridiculous draped in multiple dupattas and masquerade masks. Hetal shoved her phone in Raavi's hand, and exclaimed, "I want a video with them." Raavi laughed, and obliged, filming her friends as they goofed around, receiving amused, judgemental, and angry looks from neighboring shop owners, and shoppers alike.