Chapter 18

The next few days were one of the worst days in Shiva's life. He had made it clear to his mother that he wouldn't tolerate Disha as anything more than her guest, as he wouldn't disrespect Raavi by entertaining anyone else. Disha specifically wanted to chance her arm being with him in case he did divorce Raavi.

All the while, Raavi innocently tempted him by just existing. Her pure heart, her innocent soul, her beautiful smile enhanced by the mole on her cheek, her twinkling eyes, not to mention her luscious body, all of her was so tempting to him. He still dreamt of her in that pale pink saree and the rose saree, looking more stunning than any human had the right to be. Shaking his head, wandering around the bustling house after dinner, he saw Dhara and Rishita Bhabhi with his mother chatting and laughing, planning Dhara's birthday and pooja, they would be having for her and her unborn child, tomorrow. His older brothers were balancing the monthly books for the house and Krish was playing on his phone.

Deep in thought, he stopped to sit on the cot as he came to the realization, he was certifiably crazy: After his actions on Karva Chauth, he put some distance between them, taking on more work and volunteering at soccer club, dissuading her from sleeping beside him and bore his mother's interference stoically, in hopes to discourage Raavi, so she could move on to better things in life. Despite his intentions to stay away from her, his eyes always sought her out, his heart cheered up just seeing her, and his mind craved to be around her. You just want to hold on to her and never let go. He ran his fingers thru his hair, resisting the urge to pull them all out in sheer frustration.

Speaking of his sweet Chipkali, where was she? It had been a very busy day at the Store clearing out month end stock, which had given him the perfect cover to maintain his distance but racking his brain through all the instances he saw her today which wasn't a lot, he realized belatedly he hadn't even seen Raavi eat dinner. Did she eat? Forgetting everything else, he mentally swore to himself if she hadn't eaten dinner, he would yell at her so loudly she would remember it for the next fifty years.

"Dhara, Rishita Bhabhi, yeh Chipkali ghar ki kis kone main apna dhum hila rahi hai?" he asked, forcing himself to keep his voice relaxed.

"Arey Shiva, abhi toh yahan thi. Backyard main taazi hawa khane gayi hogi. Aaj subah bhi keh reh thi, saar dukh raha hai, toh maine usse zyada kaam karne se mana kiya," said Dhara Bhabhi, as Rishita nodded.

Raavi had a headache, and no one thought to tell him? Balling his fists by his side, he just nodded in thanks. He pulled out his phone and messaged her. No response. Hamesha toh phone ke saath chipki hui milti hai. His mind was working on overtime, and his gut told him something was off, as he looked around. Raavi wouldn't miss Dhara Bhabhi's birthday planning session even if she was sick. He thought long and hard, scrolling through his phone, and suddenly looked down at the date on his phone: October 31st. F**k.

Suddenly scrambling, he ran outside, mumbling an excuse about meeting Arjun. He made his way back home in thirty minutes, choosing to go up to the terrace. As he suspected, he found Raavi on the terrace staring at the night sky. "The view is better if you look in the opposite direction," he remarked casually, causing Raavi to turn slowly and look at him, clutching her parent's photo frame. Oh, baby girl. He came up to her to stand beside her, demonstrating his remark.

Raavi continued to stare at Shiva, as he pointed to the night sky, showing various stars. A tear slipped, and he looked at her, pausing mid-sentence. "H-How di-did you know?" asked Raavi in a low voice. Raavi knew the second she saw him that he knew.

Shiva resumed talking various stars, pointing to a constellation he figured out by looking it up on the internet. Raavi stepped closer, resting her head on his chest, and taking his arms to wrap them around her waist. Hold me. Pressing a finger to his mouth, she repeated herself, "H-How did you know?"