Chapter 16

The day before Karva Chauth, in the evening, Suman ordered Dishu and Shiva to go the Somnath Chowki and pick up items for Karva Chauth. "Saath kaam karoge toh ek dusre ko jaan paoge," said Suman. Suman clearly took a leaf out of Dhara's book, organising that impromptu trip, couple of days ago. Shiva clamped down his irritation at being to spend time and sent a pleading glance to his brothers and Dhara Bhabhi. She glared back and shrugged her shoulders. What am I supposed to do?

"Chalein?" asked Dishu politely. Shiva sent another pointed glance to his brothers and Dhara Bhabhi. Please speak up!

"Main kya soch rahi thi, Krish, tu bhi ja na? Tujhe...Tujhe...university project ke liye kuch chahiye tha na?" said Dhara pointedly. Suman looked to her son, Krish, in askance.

"Mujhe?" said Krish blankly. Dev put a forceable hand on Krish's shoulders, gritted his teeth and said, "Aur kaun yahan school jata hai, bey? Tujhe hi bol rahe hain... Chala ja chup chap."

Shiva looked around once more to see anyone else said something to help him get out this trip. He saw Raavi was twisting her dupatta frantically and muttering something under her breath. Out of pure cowardice, he said, "Ay, bandariya, kuch kehna chahti hai toh theek se bol na?!"

She glared daggers at him, but her voice sipped with saccharine when she said, "Tu date pe ja raha hai na... main tumhare jodi ki nazar utar rahi thi."

"Oh acha, tera aashirwad, nazar utarne ka tarika bahut hi niralal hai. Bas yeh sab hi uss mami ne sikhaya tujhe," said Shiva stalling.

"Gale main nimbu mirch laga doon? Hum sab toh teri tarah –" started Raavi when Dishu sweetly interrupted, "Lets go?" Shiva gave Raavi a parting glare, dragged Krish and went to the Somnath Chowk.

As Raavi was prepping for dinner with Dhara Bhabhi's help, Krish and Shiva came back from the market sooner than anticipated. "Itni jaldi wapas aagaya?" asked Suman, waiting in the aangan.

"Kya bataon Maa! Shiva thought he saw Arjun in the market. When Shiva and I ran to catch him, turns out it was someone else! But in our haste see our favorite Arjun, we, uh, um, we l-l-lost Disha. We didn't even have her number to text her... so we just made our way back home," said Krish casually, as Shiva looked down rubbing the back of his head.

"What? How can you lose a grown adult in the Markets? Samaan le aaye, ladki ghum gaayi," chided Suman, muttering to herself, her kids were so useless.

"It just...happened, Maa. Chod na! She is likely fine, just message Kanta kaki quickly and find out for yourself. I don't know what to tell you, but the better story is the look-a-like of Arjun. It was crazy..." said Shiva, as he and Krish took turns explaining in detail the features of the supposed doppelganger.

As everybody settled in for dinner, Rishita noticed one less dinner plate and questioned Raavi, "Ek plate kam hai Raavi." Immediately catching on, she asked innocently, "Are you skipping dinner, Shiva?"

"Maine socha date pe gaya tha, toh khake aaya hoga" said Raavi sarcastically, lifting his arms, "dhole nahi dekhe?"

Snatching his arm back, "Haan, gadehdi, mujhe khaana khake hi aana chahiye tha. Waise bhi tune yeh saab banaya hai na? Mere liye toh ek spoon zeher bhi daala hoga" scowled Shiva. Trust Raavi to annoy the crap out of him.

As dinner started, the everyone took their place as Raavi was serving everyone food, a simple traditional Gujarati meal that everyone loved. Raavi came by to Shiva to serve food, he mockingly whispered, "Main kaise maan loon ki isme tu ne zeher nahi milaya?"