4

—•—

——

"In one week twenty three of you will be dead. One of you will be alive. Who that is depends on how well you pay attention over the next couple days. Particularly to what I'm about to say."

Leo and I stood in the middle listing to what the training lady said. Looking around at all the tributes who all look as if they want to be anywhere else then here, which I can't blame them for.

"First, no fighting with the other tributes, you'll have plenty of time for that in the arena. There are four compulsory exercises the rest will be individual training. My advise is, don't ignore the survival skills. Especially for this hunger games. Everyone wants to grab a sword. But most of you will die from natural causes. Ten percent from infection. Twenty percent from dehydration, exposure can kill as easily as a knife."

'Especially for this hunger games.'

The games makers must have done something extra special this year.

Everyone went separate ways. The careers to the weapons as I predicted.

"Cypress, where should we go?" "Well I think we should go our separate ways. Hear me out, I don't want people targeting us first cause we are extremely close. So I want you to go over to weapons and try to find a skill your good at, don't show off though! Once you get even the tiniest bit good at it, I want you to shrug your shoulder and walk away. Remember what Roland told us this morning." He looked weary but nodded his head.

"You got this Leo." "I got this." He repeated as he went towards the weapons.

——

"Ok, today Is your first day of training. Now I know you want to go in there and put on a show but you can't. That's basically asking for death." Roland spoke as Leo and I ate breakfast.

"You Leo you need to find your skill."  Leo nodded his head. "Cypress focus on the nature and survival skills. Learn what's poisonous and what's not." I nodded my head. "They might teach you how to build a fire but that's a good way to get killed."

"Why?" Leo asks dumbly. "Why? Think kid think!" Roland shouted at him. "Leo it's alright, it's cause the smoke from the fire can show the other tributes where you are and you'd become an easy target." "See she gets it. And with the way Snow and all them have been talking these games won't be like the rest. So work on the survival skills."

"It's time to get going!" Lilac said entering the dinning room.

——

I look at where everyone is. Their all working on swords axes and knives. Why is no one working on hand to hand combat. I walk over where there's a trainer.

Before I say anything he tries to punch me. I quickly move out of the way.  He kicked at me hitting my hip. His next punch I block with my left forearm giving me the opportunity to front kick his gut.

I have no clue where this all came from but, I guess it's working.

I notice eyes on me from the careers. Making me stop the session and work on the survival.

I swipe along the screen looking at all the berries.

Nightlock is a wild plant with extremely poisonous berries.

Holly berries. These tiny berries contain the toxic compound saponin, which may cause nausea, vomiting, and stomach cramps

"You know, all this information is useless for you to learn." I turn and see the girl from district two. I believe her name is Louise.

"And why is that?" I ask turning my body to face her. "Cause your gonna be my first kill. My mentor Brutus says people are going to pity you for having your district partner being the youngest tribute. Meaning sponsors. They can't sponsor what's already dead. Ain't that right sweetheart?" As she talked she walked closer to me.

"I suppose. Can't wait to see you kill me. Or, at least try to, sweetheart." I was extremely close to her her breath was on my cheek. "I... Uhh..." "bye." I whisper making her storm off.

I tried to compose myself. Why would they target me? I'm not special. My only hope is the sword fights with my father will pay off.

Sword fights...

——

"Come on Cypress you can at least get one hit on me." Father laughed as I ran around him dragging the sword that was way to big for me.

"Father I'm only eleven! I can't even pick up the sword." I groaned. As I ran around his feet for the tenth time he picked me up as if I weighed nothing.

"Well maybe if you stopped running around you'll get better." The way he said it was heartfelt and laughable, but his eyes were stern making me shiver.

"Father your scaring me." "Cypress next year your names gonna enter the bowl meaning your going to be eligible for the games. You need to have a skill!" His eyes looked into my soul. "Correct?" "Yes father."

I thought he was about to set me down but he continued to hold onto me. "Father you can put me down now." I Whimpered. "Now why would I do that when this is like training. Try to get out of my hold."

I kicked my legs hoping to get lose but his hold was strong. "Father your hurting me." His hand gripped onto my thigh. Each time I kicked it would go up farther and farther.

"It's time to eat!" Mother yelled from the window making father drop me. "Coming." He yelled back.

I stared up at him in horror as he left. I lifted up my skirt to see that my thigh has some bruising. I wanted to cry but instead I brushed myself off and went inside to eat.

——

I shake my head trying to get rid of the memory. Berries learn about berries.

Learn to survive.

—•—