7

—•—

——

"Why would you talk to them!" Lilac paces the room. We are getting ready to watch the scoring, word got out that I 'yelled' at the games makers.

Roland was laughing when he found out. Leo was in shock and Blossom acted like it was no big deal but Lilac, she's in another universe with how upset she is.

"Roland! Stop laughing! This is bad." "I'm sorry Lilac, I just couldn't help myself. They were clapping for me and I found it utterly disgusting." Before I could continue Roland sat up quickly.

"Wait, they were clapping for you!" I nodded. "Cypress. They don't clap ever! They show no emotion." "Oh well, that's odd." "They didn't clap for me is that bad?" Leo's weak small voice said making everyone look at him.

"No, it's fine, I bet you did wonderful." I slide next to him. He leans into my side. "Right." I look at everyone in the room to agree with me.

"Yes, they didn't clap for me either when I was in the games." Roland pats Leo's foot. "Don't worry about it kid."

Roland is finally understanding he should be nicer to Leo, he's the youngest here and has a target on his back because of it.

"It's starting!" Lilac claps sitting next to Blossom.

We all stare at the screen as Caesar pops up.

"Today the tributes were rated on skill, from one to twelve after only two days of training! Starting with Zayne from District one, with a score of ten."

"Wow." We all said under our breaths. We continue to watch.

So far no one has placed under a five.

"Leo from district five."

You could cut the tension with a knife. Leo grabs onto my arm hard.

"With a score of seven."

I smile down at him, "Leo that's amazing!" "Thanks."

"Cypress from district five,"

I lean forward. Talking back to the capital is a terrible idea, they can keep you alive in the games or kill you within a second.

"with a score of nine."

I let out a sigh of relief.

"Oh thank goodness." Lilac relaxes. "Good job you two." Roland pats us on the back. "I'm very proud." He stood up to get a drink.

"What did you show them?" I look at Leo. "My axe throwing. I didn't hit the bulls eye but I made sure to smile at them." I ruffle his hair. "Your adorable."

——

I walk out my room from not being able to sleep. Nightmares are keeping me up.

I got a cup of water then walk to the big windows, rainfall fell over the capital. I say down and leaned against the cold glass window, my mind started to wonder.

I wonder if it's raining at home right now. I bet mom made her famous tea if the rain started early enough.

"Hey kid, what are you doing?" Roland came out of his room, holding a glass half full of alcohol. "I just can't sleep." "You know your supposed to not sleep during and after the games not before." He tries to make a joke but I don't laugh.

"Alright." He groans as he sits across from me. "What's wrong?" "Hmm? Nothing." "Cypress you got a nine, you should be happy." "I am." I continue to stare at the rain.

"Then why aren't you asleep?" "Nightmares." I hug my knees into my chest. "Nightmares, I know that pretty well." He leans his head on the wall I notice a scar along his jaw.

"This, this gave me the nightmares." He taps the scar. "How?" "My... friend in the games. He Uhh, went crazy at the end. He was taking watch as I slept. Woke up to him straddling me with knife to my jaw. His eyes where filled with craziness. Come to find out, he ate berries that made him hallucinate bad."

"That's why you told us to look at the berries during training." "Yep, I can't see anybody going through that again." I nodded along.

"What about you. I told you my nightmare, so it's only fair." I shrug. "It's just my... Father." "You miss him?" "Oh, no, I hate him. I have nightmares about him." "Oh." "And talking about him in my interview made me remember things I didn't want to."

I looked out into the rain trying not to think of all the stuff he did to me.

"He was just... not a good person. When he died I had mix feelings, I was sad cause he was my father, but, I was also happy cause I wouldn't have to go through any of the stuff he did to me anymore. But also confused."

"How?" He asked hesitantly. "Well I Uhh... I think my mom killed him." I look at Roland's reflection in the window. His eyes are wide as they stare at me.

His mouth is open but no words come out. "Don't worry I could be wrong. But, I'm pretty sure." "You could be wrong that your mother killed your father?" "Yes." "How?"

"Well he came into my room one night like normal, mother saw and when I woke up, She told me he went to work early, then later that day she said he passed away. I never knew how. So I think she killed him." I look at him and shrug.

"He came into your room?" "Yeah, every night." I said slowly. I bit my lip trying to not let out any tears. "I'm so sorry. You've already fault your own battle you don't deserve to fight another." I shrug. His words mean a lot, he cares.

"My father was never around either." He speaks after a couple minutes. "He cheated on my mother. She threw things at him until he left, it sucks that District five is so small, I had to see him everyday in the center. When I was chosen for the games he came to say goodbye, it was weird. It felt like he was happy I was leaving. Then when I got back, he lived in my house."

"Why?" "My mother died while I was in the games. She got really sick, and he thought since I live in the victors village now and cause I'd have really bad nightmares he said I shouldn't be alone. When I turned eighteen I kicked him out."

"So people with bad trauma filled backgrounds get to be in the games." I joke trying to lighten the mood. "Apparently kid, apparently." He swished his drink in his hand before taking a sip.

—•—