8

—•—

——

"Today is your last day of training. The game makers are kind enough to let you practice one more time before the games. So make sure to review everything! All your survival skills! Cypress's since you have shown no weapon skill they might wonder how you got a nine, don't tell them." Roland said sternly as Leo and I make our way to the elevator.

The door started to close leaving Roland waving goodbye. Silence fell over the elevator.

"Cypress?" "Yes Leo?" He swallowed hard before speaking again. "We are allies right?" My mouth falls slightly open at the fact he wasn't sure.

"Of course Leo! I'll do anything in my power to keep you alive, for you to make it home." "But that means you'll be dead." I nodded my head. "Yes, I've come to terms with it, I'm eighteen, I've lived my life. Your only twelve, you deserve a long successful life."

A comfortable silence take over. I fumble with the sleeve of my training shirt. I was confused why we wore long sleeves to train in but according to Blossom they wanted to try something new.

The doors open to reveal everyone training hard. When the ding of the door goes off they all look at us... me?

I shrug the stares off and walk to the survival station. I learned all the berries, the one thing I'm not particularly certain I know is setting traps. I told Leo to work on berries. After what Roland told me last night, I don't want that for Leo.

I'm working on setting a trap for a squirrel when a shadow covers it. I looked up to see a taller dark haired boy. "I'm Malik from district twelve." He held his hand out for me to shake. "Cypress, district five."

"I know, sorry that sounded creepy. I saw your score yesterday, a nine that's amazing." "Didn't you get a nine also?" "Oh you watched." His hand rubbed the back of his neck.

"Yes." "I would have thought you'd get tired of watching." "I wanted to see peoples scores." I look down at the trap. "Can you put your finger here real quick please." I point to where I want it to go. He nodded and sat across from me. He gently placed his finger on the string.

"Now stay still." I tie more string to the twig I'm using. "Now apply more pressure." He did as I said making the twig snap up hitting him on the cheek. "Ouch!" He launches back in shock.

"Whoops." I mustered up the most innocent smile I could. "It's alright. I think you did something wrong."

I did it right.

"I suppose I did." I shrugged innocently. "I guess I'm just not meant to catch squirrels." "You just set it up wrong. Back in twelve my sister and I would set them up in the backyard."

I nodded along as he set up the trap. "You have a sister?" "Yeah, Cassandra. She's fifteen, we would do sword fights after we set up the trap." "Is that your skill." I asked nonchalant. "No, axes are." He stopped what he was doing.

"I Uhh." "See you later Malik." I stood up to find Leo.

"Hey Leo." "Hi Cypress. Look at this." He points to the screen.

Cypress symbol for sacrifice, death, and mourning.

"Wow." "I though it was cool, cause it's your name." "That's cool kid. Hey I have a question. You got a seven with your score, but you said you didn't hit one bulls eye." "Yep, but I gave them an award winning smile." I nodded at him.

I know the game makers didn't give him extra points for smiling. So if Malik got a nine he must have done pretty well with them.

"Tomorrow for the games if you run into the cornucopia be careful trying to get an axe." He nods and looks back at the screen.

I look around I feel eyes on me. I turn around where the climbing ropes are and district nine is looking at me. I think their names are Colby and Tabby. Colby got an eight in scoring and Tabby got a seven.

I've watched them, Tabby her fingers have a line indent at the top on her right hand, so I think she uses a bow and arrow. Colby I believe he's a knife thrower, no particular reason just he seems that way.

I turn back to Leo who's studying edible berries. "I'm tired of reading." He groans. "Keep going, I heard Roland and Blossom talking today, they said they aren't letting us train all day. And the games are tomorrow." He nods reluctantly.

"TRIBUTES MAKE YOUR WAY BACK TO YOUR ROOMS, TRAINING IS DONE FOR THE DAY! MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOR!"

—•—