Seventeen

Olivia and Thomas sat together in Olivia's living room. Olivia was worried about how Thomas would respond to her breaking up with him, especially since she was leaving him to try a relationship with Elliot.

"Babe, what's wrong?" Thomas asked weakly as he reached over and gently rubbed Olivia's leg.

Olivia looked at Thomas for a long moment before leaning over and kissing him softly. She let her hand rest against his chest as she pulled away.

"I was really starting to fall in love with you, Thomas... but I can't see you anymore." Olivia whispered.

"You can't see me anymore? Is this us breaking up?" Thomas frowned, as he scooted back and away from his girlfriend.

"I'm so sorry... things have just changed, and I don't want to hurt you if we continue this." Olivia whimpered, as tears burned her eyes. She watched as Thomas turned his body and zoned out on the wall.

"It's Elliot, huh?" Thomas asked, and Olivia's eyes went wide.

"Thomas-"

"You fucked him, huh?" Thomas asked, as he quickly turned his head to look at Olivia.

"I'm so sorry." Olivia sniffled as tears slipped down her cheeks.

"No, you aren't. You used me-"

"I didn't use you! I left our precinct so I could get away from Elliot for good! What we have... what we had was real! It's just that Elliot and I have a connection that I can't deny. He's my age and I love him and his girls."

"We were going to start a family together, Olivia!" Thomas boomed, as he stood and quickly started to pace.

"I didn't agree to that yet! I'm sorry that I hurt you!" Olivia cried.

"No, you aren't. You are a bitch just like every single woman that I have been with before. You used me, and then break up with me when someone else fucks you! God, Olivia!" Thomas yelled. Olivia shook, but didn't say anything else.

Thomas kept yelling at Olivia for several minutes before he broke a framed picture of Olivia and Elliot's daughters. He stormed out and Olivia could hear him scream from the street below.

"That didn't go well at all." Olivia whimpered.

///

Elliot knew that Olivia planned on breaking up with Thomas the day after they slept together, so at around eight he made his way to her apartment to check up on her. When he got there, Olivia's door was cracked a bit, and he heard sniffling inside.

"Olivia?" Elliot asked softly, as he pushed the door open with the toe of his shoe.

"Yeah, I'm here." Olivia hiccupped. Elliot found Olivia squatting down beside her couch, as she swept up pieces of glass.

"What happened? Why isn't your door closing all the way too?" Elliot frowned.

"Thomas broke that and my picture on the way out... I called the building manager and he's going to fix the door." Olivia replied, as she sat the dust pan down and wiped tears from her cheeks.

Elliot stepped towards Olivia to comfort her, but Olivia stood and shook her head.

"Don't come near me, El." Olivia spoke.

"Babe-"

"Elliot, I just broke up with my boyfriend and I need some space. So please, I'm begging you... give me some space." Olivia breathed.

"You broke up with Thomas so we could be together. So, why can't we be together?" Elliot frowned.

"I loved Thomas... and it broke my heart to break up with him. I wanted to earlier, but now I can't think about just jumping right into a relationship with you. I need time, and I hope you let me have that." Olivia replied.

Elliot sighed softly, before stepping back and nodding.

"I'll wait, Liv. I promise." Elliot spoke.

"Yeah, well don't pause your life for me. I'm a bitch, I guess. The same as every other shitty woman."

///

Olivia really did need space. She didn't want to jump from one relationship and go straight into another one. Olivia also didn't have a lot of free time, since she was forced into some pretty shitty positions thanks to Thomas. She had to patrol the park several times, and also got crossguard duty until Olivia filed a complaint against Thomas for using his power to hurt her.

But after over a month of being single and lonely, Olivia decided to go and see Elliot. But she mostly wanted to go over there and see the girls.

"Daddy, someone is here!" Maureen exclaimed, as she ran into the kitchen. Elliot was busy making dinner, while Maureen was in charge of occupying her sister.

"Yeah Daddy! The bell!" Kathleen squealed, as she ran up beside her sister. Elliot turned off the stove before spinning around to look at his daughters.

"I heard the doorbell, loves. Now, go and wash up. I'll see who is here." Elliot smiled. Elliot ushered his daughters towards the bathroom, before moving to the front door. He opened it slowly, and was shocked when he saw Olivia on the other side of the door.

"Hey, El." Olivia spoke shyly.

"What are you doing here?" Elliot asked, and Olivia gnawed on the inside of her cheek before sighing.

"I needed space, and I took what I could stand. It really sucks being alone, and I needed to apologize for how I reacted."

"You were upset. I can't blame you for being angry and sad."

"Yeah, but I used it against you. So, I'm sorry." Olivia breathed. Elliot nodded slowly, before hearing as his daughters' voices grew louder as they walked from the bathroom.

"You are here, so you might as well stay for dinner. Mo and Kathleen won't let you leave either." Elliot smiled.

Olivia was surprised by his invite, but was so glad she agreed to it. The girls saw her for the first time in a while, and they clung to her most of the night. They convinced Olivia to put them to bed and read them stories, and even begged her to have a sleepover with them. 

"They are asleep, and asked me to sleepover too." Olivia laughed softly, as she walked down the stairs. Elliot walked away from the toy box and nodded.

"Yeah, those girls love you."

"And so do you... right? Like, that hasn't changed?" Olivia asked nervously.

"I love you so much, Liv. And if you are finally ready to take that step, I'd like to take you on a date. Maybe even a date without two kids clinging to us and making a mess during dinner."

Olivia looked at him for a moment before nodding.

"Okay, but let the first date be my treat. I want to plan it, and really prove to you that I'm ready for this." Olivia smiled, before stepping closer to Elliot and kissing him softly.