Twenty-Four

Olivia woke up the next morning, and it took a moment to remember what had happened. She has three little girls in her apartment now, and it was only because Elliot's ex was abusing Mo and Kathleen. Anger bubbled up inside of Olivia for several minutes before she brushed it all off and got out of bed.

Before Olivia could even wake the girls, her phone was ringing.

"Hello?" Olivia yawned, as she put the phone on speaker so she could finish getting ready.

"Hey, Liv. It's Elliot." Elliot replied.

"The girls are still sleeping, and everything went well after you left."

"I'm not calling about that. I kicked Ashley out last night. She left Jacob and said that she was done with all of my bullshit." Elliot sighed, and Olivia's eyes went wide as she looked down at her phone.

"Ashley left her baby? How does a mother do that?" Olivia breathed, as her anger started to get the best of her again.

"I don't think she'll be gone for good. She'll probably come back to see him. But since she's gone, the girls can come back home."

"Elliot-" Olivia started.

"It's Thanksgiving, and I want to spend the day with my daughters and son. So either I can come and get them, or you could bring them to me."

"I'll bring them out after breakfast... I can't promise that I'll get there fast since lots of roads are closed because of the parade." Olivia sighed.

"Why don't you come to have dinner with us too. Then you don't have to drive through the parade traffic twice." Elliot offered, since he could tell that Olivia was angry.

"I don't think it's wise that we spend a holiday together, especially since we really aren't anything to each other." Olivia spoke, before hanging up.

///

"So, Ashley is gone?" Maureen asked, as they drove out to Queens. Everything was moving slow all over the city, so their drive was several minutes longer than usual.

"That is what your father said."

"Do you think she'll stay away for good? Or do you think she'll come back?" Kathleen asked, her eyes never leaving Lillian's face.

"Girls, I don't know. I'm sorry that I can't give you more information, but you wanted to be back with your dad. So this is good."

They rode in silence until they reached Elliot's house. Olivia stood beside her car as the girls went to the door. They turned around and waved at her, before hesitantly heading inside. Olivia waited for a few more minutes before getting into her car to leave. She only stopped herself when Maureen came running out of the house and towards the car.

"Liv, wait!" Maureen exclaimed.

"Is everything okay?" Olivia asked quietly as she rolled down the passenger side window.

"Can you stay?"

"Huh?" Olivia breathed.

"Here. Can you stay here with us? I don't want to spend time away from you, now that we just got you back." Maureen smiled.

"Baby-"

"Everyone wants you to stay! So please, stay!" Maureen exclaimed. Olivia bit her lip, before nodding hesitantly.

"I'll stay, but you gotta realize that this doesn't mean anything is happening between me and your father. Okay?"

"If you insist." Maureen grinned.

///

Elliot had a hard time hiding his excitement when he found out that Olivia agreed to join them for Thanksgiving activities. She watched the parade with them, along with the dog show afterwards. Then she helped Elliot make dinner while all the girls and Jacob took a nap, even if Maureen insisted she was too old for one.

"Thanks for coming." Elliot smiled as he turned around after checking on the turkey.

"Mo convinced me to stay, it wasn't for you." Olivia snapped.

"Olivia, please." Elliot frowned.

"What did you see in her?" Olivia asked.

"What?"

"What did you see in Ashley? Was it her body, or the fact she was willing to sleep with you when I wasn't?" Olivia asked quickly. Elliot swallowed hard, before reaching out and gently resting his hand against Olivia's arm.

"I was angry and so sad. I guess that I was happy she wanted to fuck me without questions or hesitation. If I would have just waited around for you, then-"

"Then you would have cheated on me at a later date. Maybe when we were married or I was expecting. Just during some pretty bad times." Olivia grumbled.

"Hey-"

"I was angry and sad too, El! But I never cheated on you! I don't see why you couldn't do the same for me!" Olivia yelled, before taking a shaky breath and going back to peeling the potatoes.

Elliot watched Olivia for several moments before deciding to speak again.

"I regretted it the moment it happened. But then it just kept happening. A lot of the time, I never wore a condom. Clearly, because now I have a son."

"Do you still regret what happened?"

"I do, Liv! When I saw you yesterday, all I could think about is how much I missed you... how much I still love you. Then when I met Lillian, all I could think about was her being raised with my girls and Jacob... as their little sister." Elliot breathed.

Olivia had to admit that she liked the sound of that. Even if she loved raising Lillian by herself, the idea of her having siblings was more exciting.

"Elliot, I don't think that we could ever get back together... or be to the point where we were before. But I guess we could help each other."

"How?" Elliot breathed.

"Just friends raising their kids together. I can help with the girls and Jacob, and you can help with Lilly. Then they all have a mother and father figure in their lives. And if you decide that you would rather be with Ashley, then I can step out of the way." Olivia spoke.

Elliot thought for a moment before smiling and nodding.

"I'd love that, but just know... Ashley isn't the one I want. She hasn't been the one I want for a while. It has been, and will always be, you."