Thirty-Two

Olivia stared at the ring as tears slipped down her cheeks. She had never expected to get married, let alone to Elliot. But here she was, on vacation with him and their family, and now it was like everything was actually coming together. He didn't plan on leaving her or cheating on her again. They had finally pieced together their lives, and now everyone felt complete.

"Gonna yell yes now?" Elliot asked softly, as he reached out and caressed Olivia's tear stained cheek.

"I don't think I wanna yell. I may wake the kids. But yes, El. I will marry you." Olivia whispered. She leaned forward and kissed him deeply before leaning back and looking at the ring. 

"Do you like it?" Elliot asked, as he took it from the box before slipping it onto Olivia's finger.

"I do, it's beautiful. Did you pick it out yourself?" Olivia asked as she examined it closely.

"I have had it picked out for a while... but yes, all by myself." 

"How long?"

"Since I saw you were back."

///

Elliot and Olivia spent their night together in bed. It was one of the first times Olivia was actually completely calm in a while. 

"So when do you wanna get married?" Olivia asked, as the sun finally peaked through the blinds.

"Wow, you are eager." Elliot chuckled as Olivia lifted her head from his chest and looked at him.

"Do you know how long I have wanted to change my last name? How long I have wanted to get away from being a Benson... from the rape, my mother, from the abuse. The sooner I'm a Stabler, the sooner I can be the happiest I have ever been. I also cannot wait to expand our family!" Olivia breathed as tears welled in her eyes.

Olivia wasn't ashamed of what she had lived through, but it was weighing her down. The moment she changed her name and Lilly's was a step in the right direction to have the life of her dreams.

"In all reality, if you didn't want a big wedding, we could be married by the end of the week. If you want a fancy dress, flowers, a huge reception... then early next year. Maybe next spring."

Olivia laid her head back on Elliot's chest as she thought. This was going to be her first and last marriage. This was going to be her only wedding, and since she wasn't pregnant and needing to get this done before she popped, Olivia knew she wanted to actually celebrate the relationship. She wanted the big white dress and fancy flowers, along with a cake that would make her kids' eyes grow to the size of plates. That is what she wanted.

"Next spring sounds good."

"Really?" Elliot spoke, and Olivia nodded.

"Really. I'd like the whole shebang..."

"Then that is exactly what you are going to get. I love you so much, Liv. I will try my hardest to not fuck everything up." Elliot breathed as he held Olivia close.

"You better not, because you can't get rid of me this time."

///

The day after they went home, Olivia and Elliot hesitantly went back to work. The kids were spending the summer with their sitter, and today they planned on just relaxing and trying to recover from the amazing weekend they had just had.

"Wow, that is beautiful." Casey spoke with wide eyes as she looked at Olivia's engagement ring. The moment that the newly engaged couple entered the squad room, Olivia was showing off the ring with an enormous smile on her lips.

"Thank you. I guess Elliot has had it picked out since November." Olivia chuckled as she grabbed her mug.

"November? Wasn't that when you came back to town?" Casey asked, as she follow Olivia back to her desk.

"Yes, it was. But I guess he assumed we were going to be getting back together, and he was right for once." Olivia smiled.

"I knew that the moment she came back, I couldn't fuck it up again. I made a mess of my life when we were last together, and she deserved better. So I got better." Elliot spoke. He leaned down and kissed the top of Olivia's head before moving to his desk.

"He's a lost cause when it comes to you. That guy is a goner." Casey whispered, and Olivia nodded.

"That is exactly how I like them." Olivia chuckled.

Everyone was excited for the young couple, which was an enormous change for Olivia. Serena didn't want Olivia to date in high school, so when Olivia came home pregnant and with a boyfriend, it was like Serena saw red.

"So, what do you have planned?" Casey asked, as she settled down for a long talk with Olivia.

"Nothing at the moment. Oh, other than we want to get married next spring."

"I'm surprised you two aren't rushing."

"I gave her the option, but she wants the dress and the reception." Elliot spoke up.

"If you do it right the first time, no need to do it again. Right?" Olivia smiled.

///

When Elliot finally made it upstairs after shutting things down for the night and checking on the kids, he made his way into the room he shared with his fiancee.

"Whatcha looking at?" Elliot asked as he watched Olivia scroll through something on her phone.

"Wedding dresses... a few flower arrangements." Olivia laughed weakly.

"You aren't excited about marrying me, right?"

"Not at all." Olivia shot back. 

Elliot laughed loudly as he moved to the bed and slipped in beside Olivia. He quickly grabbed her phone and locked it, before tugging Olivia close. They kissed a few times before settling down under the sheets.

"I'm glad that you are excited, but we have time. We can plan as we go, so you don't get overwhelmed."

"Are you going to help?" Olivia asked.

"If that is what you want, I'm more than willing to help. But not tonight. Tonight, you and I are going to celebrate our engagement again... especially since everyone is super supportive of our future union."

"Expect probably one person." Olivia sighed.

"Who?" Elliot asked.

"Your mother."