Volume 10: Chapter 6 - "That Is Why I Love You"

~~Chapter 6~~
"That Is Why I Love You"

~•-•~

Part 1

I told Angellica I loved her.

I didn't mean to do that. No, sir.

I stood there by the city gates as the scarlet sun began to droop down, as stiff as a robot, my face stuck with an awkward smile. The mage in front of me had cheeks that were akin to the red sky, her legs planted to the ground in a shaky state.

The scent of death loomed from behind me. As I unsteadily turned my head behind me, I could see Agame staring at me, and if looks could kill, I would be a dead man right at that moment. It was a good thing that Yuria was right beside her to hold her back, but her menacing aura guaranteed that I was not going to have a good time later at home.

The waft of awkward silence was broken as Angellica, who had begun to wrap her fingers around each other, stutteringly said:

"K-Kaito... D-do you really... mean it?"

I bit my lower lip as my entire body and mind did its best to work around the situation. Despite so, a heavy thumping noise was causing a racket inside my chest.

The truth is, I've never thought of Angellica as anything similar to a love interest. I appreciated her presence, and she had developed from being an annoying brat to one of my closest friends. It was her who had sacrificed a lot for me, especially at that time where I needed to be revived.

All this time, I was oblivious to her getting hurt because of her feelings for me, but to be fair, it's not really my fault. I chose Agame first, and she should have grown to accept it. That's just how it's supposed to be.

If that's the case, then why do I still feel guilty about it?

"Yes, I mean it."

I did not have the guts in me to cause her so much more pain, even though I know for a fact that I'm going to regret this decision later...

Angellica's dandelion eyes began to brighten up with tears and bliss.

"I-I don't know what to say... I-I mean... You already have Agame, and yet..."

I could feel my spine jolting up at the pure sensation of malicious intent coming straight from behind me. From here, I could even hear Agame's wild growls as she flailed her feet in the air, Yuria struggling to keep her restrained.

I sighed painfully.

At that moment, I remembered that I needed to fulfill my mission first – the mission to save Angellica from her disease.

"Yeah, forget about her! I-I've been thinking about it a lot more recently, and I've came to realize that you are such better wife material! I-I mean, you can cook, and..."

Angellica looked to the side in bitterness.

"I'd burn the kitchen down if you'd ask me to make fried eggs..."

My eye twitched.

"W-w-well, that may be true, but you can also give a killer massage!"

"Last time I tried rubbing your back, we had to call in Mimi to fix it back up."

I decided to stop saying things without thinking, as that only led to Angellica getting gloomier every time. At the verge of ripping my hair out, I grabbed hold of her shoulders and gazed directly into her eyes.

"Agh, forget about what I said! Angellica, you're an amazing person, and I'm foolish for only realizing—"

In a quick flash, however, I felt my back freezing, as if an entire blizzard had passed by it. Seeing cold mist surrounding me, I quickly turned around to see a giant cluster of ice spikes risen from the ground, and looking at me dead in the face was the pointed edge of a steel arrow.