Volume 3: Chapter 2 - "The Riddle of this Annoying Sphinx"

~~Chapter 2~~
"The Riddle of this Annoying Sphinx"

Part 1

"Alright guys! I'll leave the quest to you!"

"Bye, Mimi-san!"

After the cat girl passed on her quest to us and left, we continued to walk down the stairs leading to the second room. Despite this place being based off a traditional Japanese temple, the rest of the interior was more dungeon like.

"Thank you for putting us in your care, young adventurers."

The explorer at the front holding a torch smiled at us.

"It's nothing, it's nothing. Don't you three worry! We're known to be the strongest team here in Ischyos!"

"Is that so? We're not from this city so we don't know much about you, but knowing that you're all strong makes us feel very comfortable!"

As Angellica was making small talk with the explorer dudes, I felt Agame give me a nudge on the side with her elbow as she was gripping her Holy Bow.

"Are you cured of your depression, Kaito-san?"

"Eh."

I only gave her a shrug in reply. Honestly, I'm still feeling very, very down. My mindset has not changed at all. I'm super bummed about the whole Sana issue that my mind has been boggling around recently for the past few days.

Ueno Sana..

The blonde warrior girl behind me who literally has no exciting traits nor backstory. She's literally a flat character who's basically just there for some reason, her stats are stupidly broken for no reason at all, and she doesn't take her role as an adventurer seriously. Why on earth did the gods choose her over me?

Aren't I the number one fan of Ischyos? Aren't I the person who knows almost everything about this fantasy world? Aren't I the person who had the willpower and resolve strong enough that I was willing to kill myself just so I could reincarnate into here?

This is all bullshit, but it's not like there's anything I can do.

"I see. So you're still feeling down then. You know, I really don't know what the reason behind all of this sudden attitude change is, but I really hope that you'd somehow get around it, you know?"

Huh? Is she actually trying to comfort me?

"After all, not only are you the person who cooks for everyone, and not only are you the guy who somehow gives enthusiasm to the team, but still though, in a way, everyone in the house considers you as a fr—"