Volume 11: Prologue - "Chaos"

Announcement:
I will now be publishing chapters in smaller parts from here on out. This is so that I won't get burnt out from writing super long chapters. I apologize for this sudden change of formatting, but at the very least, you can now expect faster updates from me. Thank you
.

~~Prologue~~
"Chaos"

~•-•~

Part 1

Raphael and Fram cautiously strolled through the courtyard of the cathedral. They could barely make out the stone pathway in front of them, as there weren't any light sources nearby except for the soft moonlight. The chirping of the Death Bats echoed through the air as a group flew above the clouds. The cathedral was definitely giving off the mood of uneasiness, a stark contrast from the joyful and festive spirit felt in the main plaza.

Fram sighed.

"Are you sure that this is the place? It looks like an abandoned church to me. The grass here doesn't look like it's been maintained in years."

Raphael, raising a brow, then said:

"This is what the shaman told me in his letter. Felinicia is one of the oldest roots of civilization, and this church looks like it's been around for thousands of years... I should have the Soldiers run a safety inspection once all of this is over."

Finally, the two arrived by the doorstep of the rundown chapel. Vines have planted themselves through the wooden cracks of the building. Loudly, Raphael began to knock on the hardwood door, with the sounds of his knocks echoing from within the hollow room inside.

"Excuse me?! Is anyone here at the moment? This is Sir Raphael de Lasainte, and I'm here to meet with somebody."

Silence. A good ten seconds of it. Fram and Raphael were eyeing themselves in suspicion when all of the sudden, a soft voice responded from within.

"Did you bring the 'Dragon Person'?"

Fram tensed up. She worriedly looked at Raphael who chuckled to keep her calm.

"Yes, I brought her. Excuse me, we are in a bit of a hurry, so—"

A loud creaking noise. The door slowly opened, with a few dust clouds wafting from the dirt beneath. The two could not help but cough. At the other side of the door stood a figure whose face was draped beneath a black hood, their cat ears creating two bumps on top. These features could be distinguished thanks to the candlestick the figure held, as everything else behind them was pitch black.

"Wonderful, come in. Please watch your step."

Fram and Raphael looked at each other once again in confusion. They had no other choice but to follow the mysterious figure who had started walking down what seemed to be a large aisle. Their footsteps were muffled, suggesting the floor beneath them was carpeted. The two began to scan their surroundings, looking for anything suspicious. They could make up what looks like rows of wooden seats facing forward. Broken chandeliers hung down from the ceiling. Statues of a man holding a purple orb were staged next to the walls.

Fram then cleared her throat.

"Excuse me, may I please know where exactly are we? It looks like an old cathedral dedicated to the Chaos God..."

The hooded figure then replied as they continued walking.

"It is exactly as you have described. The Chaos Cult seized ownership of this cathedral after we separated ourselves from those fake believers at the main branch. Throughout the years, we have declined in numbers, and less and less people came to worship at this cathedral. It all came crashing down when a new cathedral was built in the other side of town."