Volume 5: Chapter 2 - "The Infiltrator"

~~Chapter 2~~
"The Infiltrator"

Part 1

Before I was about to question myself if I could actually take down this blonde bastard of a White Soldier, the sound of a pair of hands being clapped together took everyone's attention

A man in a dark robe with a hood accompanied by a mask in the shape of a monsterous skull covering his face suddenly appeared between Ausehend and I after a brief flash of smoke.

Who was this person? And why is he so.. Edgy?

"B-Black Death."

Ausehend stepped back in surprise.

"Why is it do you always cause such scandalous affairs, Ausehend?"

The man's voice was distorted using magic of some sort. It was deep, yet cold enough to deliver goosebumps across my body. Who exactly was this dude?

"I understand your reasons, however I must ask you to cease this at once. Not only are we in the middle of a crisis here regarding our invasion, but do you really want to thrash our very own messhall, Ausehend?"

The blonde spearman didn't reply and only lowered his head.

Ausehend called him Black Death earlier. But this scent..

Sniff.. Sniff..

Why is it so.. Familiar?

"B-big bro!"

Angellica worriedly shouted as she and Fram got out of the interrogation room. The two of them approached where Raphael, Agame, Sana and Arthur were standing.

"We were interrogated by that weird man when he suddenly disappeared into a cloud of smoke. His words were straight to the point. A worthy White Soldier."

Fram nodded.

"H-he's scary, big bro."

Angellica gulped down in fear.

"That's Black Death. He's the best assassin in the guild. Nobody knows what his power is, because he always works in solitude and because all of his victims dare not to speak of him once they're taken down. That, or they're dead."

Raphael explained.

The masked man then turned to my direction. I wondered what he was going to do to me, but my thoughts were too busy wondering who this person was.

"You must be the support Raphael was talking about yesterday."

While I was literally face to face with this freak, I was still processing who this masked man could be.

While training with Mimi-sensei way back then, I asked her why I was able to sniff out monsters. She hypothesized it must be a new type of support spell, but to be honest, I think it's because I've associated the monsters of Bane of Tartaros with different types of scents found around town back in Japan. For example, I sniffed out a dumpster once and associated it with the smell of Death Bats.