The First Day Of The Rest Of Their Lives

Top!Harry

Bottom!Draco

Summary: When Draco Malfoy finds himself pregnant during his Hogwarts eighth year he is understandably terrified. Pansy convinces him that he needs to talk to Harry about their future.

Author: Ladderofyears (on ao3)

_____________________

"You're going to have to tell him," Pansy said, picking up the pregnancy testing phial between her thumb and forefinger. Draco watched his best friend's eyes flit between the pink pearlescent potion, and the table of colours in the potions book. It was a pointless endeavour on the witch's part. There wasn't a single shadow of a doubt about the result. Pink meant up the duff. It meant a bun in the oven and a baby growing in his belly. Draco dropped his head back against his headboard. Harry's baby growing in his belly. Of all the countless results that this bizarre eighth year could have wrought, Draco could never, ever have predicted this.

"And how, precisely, do you think, should I begin that conversation?" Draco snapped back, his ire stemming from the fact that Pansy was correct. "Perhaps I should saunter over to Gryffindor's table and give Harry the happy news! Maybe I'll ask him on a date to Hogsmeade. We could spend the afternoon picking baby clothes." Swallowing the rest of his outburst, Draco shook his head. Pansy didn't deserve to be on the receiving end. Taking a deep breath, he began again. "He'll be absolutely horrified, Parks. What we've got... It isn't Harry's real life. We hook up, we have a good time. It isn't flowers, and chocolates, and promises of forever. I'm Harry's experiment. A bit of teenage rebellion for the boy who wasn't ever allowed a choice."

To her credit, Pansy hadn't been scared off by Draco's tantrum. Snuggling up to his side, she dropped her head into his shoulder. Her presence was comforting and Draco felt the knot of anxiety that had been twisting inside him start to loosen.

"He still needs to know," Pansy said, her voice not brooking any disagreement. "He was the one who put the baby there. If he's horrified, and he rejects you both, then at least you'll know. You've still got me, and the rest of our mates. We love you, and we'll be there for you. Your mum too. She might be a bit shocked to start with, love, but she'll get over that quickly enough."

Draco sighed, wincing internally. He was dreading telling his mum the news. She'd been through so much the last few years – losing her husband to Azkaban, most of her social circle and so many of her friends – and Draco detested that he'd have to tell her she was also to be grandmother to an illegitimate child before the end of the year. That was the only fact that Draco was truly certain of. He'd tried – on three separate occasions – to visit Madam Pomfrey to ask her to owl St Mungo's on his behalf so that he might procure the abortifacient potion. Each time he'd loitered outside the door, quite unable to knock.

The last time had been a week and a half ago, and after waiting three quarters of an hour on the cold bench outside, Draco had found himself standing, lifting the strap of his satchel over his shoulder and walking away. He took a walk along the shore of the Black Lake, and as he stared out across the dark water, he'd all of a sudden been seized by the knowledge that, even though he was little more than a child and had no idea what he was doing, he was going to have the baby. Pansy had insisted on brewing a testing potion, but Draco hadn't really needed it. He'd hadn't felt even the slightest flicker of apprehension as it had swiftly changed colour. He already knew the result. Merlin, but he could see the changes in the mirror when he examined himself after his shower. Draco felt heavy – felt somnolent and lethargic. The baby was already stealing his energy.

There was nothing for it. He was pregnant, and in a spare few months, he'd be holding his baby in his arms. He'd be a father, and then he'd have to grow up whether he wanted to or not.