Chapter 73

*Y/N P.O.V.*

You woke up to a ray of sunshine hitting your eyes. 

This was the day. After almost two weeks of planning, this was the first time you set foot out of your apartment again.

Life without Katherine was lonely. You couldn't say that you were over her death exactly, you've just grown numb to the feeling of the emptiness inside you. 

Who would have thought the first trip that you've ever planned would have been by yourself. All those years, you've either pictured traveling with your family when you were younger, traveling with Katherine as you grew up, or even traveling with Jungkook...At least for a short period of time.

You went through your morning routine, took your bag and suitcase, and headed to the door. As you were about to leave, you looked back into the now almost empty apartment.

With Katherine gone, you moved all of her stuff into a few boxes, and stored them into her closet. And with your decision to travel, you've packed most of your things away too, leaving the apartment looking as if no one ever lived in it.

You took one deep breath, and turned the doorknob.

You quickly walked to the cab you called, putting your suitcase in the trunk, and waited patiently to get to the airport. 

Your heart was racing throughout the entire ride. You tried to distract yourself by counting the cars passing by the road, looking through your phone, or even trying to sleep. But the more you tried to forget, the clearer the though was in your mind.

You were a criminal on the run. There was no excuse for it. You knew that it was only a matter of time before the police was sent searching for you. Would you even be able to make it through the border? How long would it take for them to track you down? What would life be in prison? And most importantly, how would you ever live your life after all of this?

So many questions zipped through your mind, only making you more and more anxious. 

The driver seemed to have sensed your nervousness.

"Excited for your trip?" He asked.

You were caught aback by his question.

"Y-yeah..." You lied.

You dug your nails into you palm. From now on, you're going to have to live with the idea of lying to everyone. You couldn't possibly tell anyone about what happened, nor would anyone be able to feel sympathetic towards a killer.

Finally, you arrived at the airport. 

*Jungkook P.O.V.*

I sunk into my bed, tired of all the questioning from the police. All I wanted was to sleep everything out, and hoped that once I woke up everything would go back to how it once was. But I tired as I was, my brain wasn't allowing me to sleep.

On one hand, I was overwhelmed by the loss of mother, and exhausted from the kidnap, but on the other hand, I was also worried. Worried about what other things might be awaiting us in the future.

I felt helpless and useless. I couldn't protect anyone. Not Lisa, not mother, not Y/N, not even myself...During everything that had happened, I could only sit, watch, and cry. All I did was force myself to accept the horrific things happening to me, tolerating the psychopath and his twisted sense of entertainment.

The more I thought about everything, the more frustrated I became. I sat up, resting my head on the wall next to my bed. Voices just kept reminding me of everything, how worthless I was, how much I deserved everything. If I was stronger, none of this would have happened...

I felt as if I were suffocating, I kept tapping my head to the wall behind me, my legs shaking. The voices won't stop...They just kept repeating...and repeating...and repeating...Reminding me over, and over, and over....

I stood up, picking up the glass of water from the side of my desk, and throwing it at the door.

Yet at this instant, the door opened, and the glass shattered at the feet of Lisa.

I took a step back, not realizing what I had done. I was frozen in shock, looking at Lisa, who was obviously also surprised.

She looked at the floor, and then looked at me.

"I knew this was going to happen." She said, smiling weakly at me.

I wanted to say something, but nothing came out. I sat onto my bed, burying my face into my hands.

"You should have some rest." She suggested.
"How do you expect me to rest, when I know there's a killer on the loose." I murmured back.

She sighed.

"If you let him get to you, you're letting him win." She said.
"HOW CAN HE NOT GET TO ME?!" I yelled, staring at her straight into the eyes.
"HE KILLED OUR MOTHER LISA! OUR MOTHER!"

Lisa fell silent.

"AND GOD KNOWS WHAT ELSE HE HAS IN PLANNED." 

I read no expression from her face.

"How are you managing to take everything to calmly? DID YOU HEAR WHAT I SAID? DID YOU NOT SEE THE DEAD BODY OF..."

I felt a surge of pain on my right cheek, as tears drifted down my eyes.

Lisa slapped me.

"Do you think that this is easy for me?!" She asked, her voice broken.
"Do you think I was just sitting around while you were being interrogated by the police?! Did you think that the death of our mother only impacted you?!"

I couldn't answer.

"Jungkook, she was our mother! You even said it yourself!" She started to break.
"I know exactly what you're thinking! I'm as angry, as scared, and as defeated as you are! You think I sleep soundly at night, knowing that the murderer is still on the loose, knowing that he still has his hungry eyes on us?"

She turned her head away, wiping her tears.

"But we can't afford time to breathe," she said, taking a deep breath.

I look at her.

"They found Y/N..."