107. House-building Plan (1)

Early the next morning, Xinyuan Restaurant sent eight carriages to Ling village for the jam. One could imagine the spectacularity. In villages, it was already supposed to be taken as rich families if they owned an ox cart. A carriage? Not even thinking of that, let along it was whole eight. When a row of carriages drove into Ling village, the whole village got agitated. A lot of people dropped their work at hand and followed behind the carriages. But when they saw that those carriages stopped before the gate of Ling Jingxuan’s house where those carriages could just pass, they were both shocked and confused, having no idea what was going on.

“Haha, brother Ling, you are really fast, only a few days you have really made 2500 jin. That could sustain us for some time. You know? The one hundred pots of jam, I meant to sell them in Datong town, but the branch shopkeeper was already waiting there and grabbed half of them. And the half left, I tried to save them, but still also none left. Your 2500 jin jam is just in time.”

Shopkeeper Zhang who came to fetch the goods in person took the time that those workers were carrying the jam to complain to Ling Jingxuan. Actually fifty pots of jam could maintain at least ten days even in Datong Town, after all each slushie would have a lot of ice. Datong Town was not very big. Though having been in here for five years, magistrate Hu’s whole family still couldn’t adapt to the burning hot summer. So after having tasted the ancient style slushie, he had been addicted to it, and would eat a lot everyday. You know, people liked following the trend. Something the magistrate fondled admiringly, others would also want to have a taste. Then…that cold dish was sold like crazy, of course the main materials-the jam was in great short supply.

“I’ve hired a lot of people to make this batch of jam, but this time I only have big pots. For those small pots, I want to adopt a custom-made style. That is, I’ll make as much jam as others want and people have to order it three days in advance. What do you think?”

Things in the town Ling Jingxuan certainly do not know, do not care, as long as he can sell the jam, the other has nothing to do with him.

“That’s great, but you’d better make a few hundred pots and let me give those braches for a trial run, so you can sell more later.”

Zhang shopkeeper was shrew. With a little tip of Ling Jingxuan, he immediately understood. To them, of course it would be more reasonable to buy the jam by jin. Stocking up too many small pots of jams would do no good to them. If using the custom-made style, that problem would be solved.

“Of course. In fact, I have ordered two hundred smaller pots. Next time I can deliver them.”

“Good for you! You are so thoughtful. It’s really comfortable to do business with you. Brother Ling, this is the bank note of two thousand five hundred taels of silver. As for the fish, we’ll settle our accounts every ten days as we agreed last time. You have a check.”

Speaking of which, Shopkeeper Zhang pulled out the back note to him. With a faint smile, Ling Jingxuan took it over, eyes sweeping. Actually no need to check at all. Just three pieces, two for one thousand and one for five hundred.

“Brother Zhang, I wonder if there is a better private school in this town? As you can see, my two sons have grown up and should go to school for education. Now that I have made a little money, I want to send them to study in the town. I wonder if you could recommend one or two.”

After putting away the back notes, Ling Jingxuan picked up the teapot and poured a cup of tea for the shopkeeper Zhang and himself while slowly expressing what wanted. Building a house was urgent, so was the kids’ study. In ancient times, kids would go to school at five. He would ask to exceed others, but only wouldn’t let his kids lose at the starting line.

“There are some good ones, but I have seen your children before. They are really smart and cute. If they are sent to a private school, I am afraid it will delay them. How about hire a personal tutor for them? Only tens of taels of silver a year. Compared with the kids’ future, not expensive at all.”

Feeling his chin, Shopkeeper Zhang took a look at the little bun obediently nestling on the side of Ling Jinghan. He gave such a suggestion only because he became familiar with Ling Jingxuan, otherwise he wouldn’t say anything.”

“Daddy…”

Hearing that it would cost so much a year, Ling Wei decisively got anxious, but felt embarrassed to get mad before an outsider, so he could only give his daddy an angry look. Buying a carriage for their study was already like stabbing his heart, how could they ever spend tens of taels of silver to hire a personal tutor??? He was studying in school, not eating silver! If it was that extravagant, how could he feel at ease to study?

“Haha…”

Seeing this, Ling Jingxuan couldn’t help laughing and threw a soothing look at Ling Wen before he continued, “Forget about hiring a personal tutor. We village people can’t afford such a luxurious life, and I don’t expect my children to have much achievement in the future, as long as they wouldn’t have to bow and scrape to others or get cheated and bullied by others. A private school is enough.”

Bow and scrape to others? He was saying it easily, but Shopkeeper Zhang and Ling Jinghan raised their brow, severely suspecting if he expressed himself wrong. Even if one became the prime minister, one had to bow and scrape to His Majesty! Does he want his son to be the emperor?

However, the sick Yan Shengrui in the next room raised his lips when he heard this. Not bow and scrape to others? That was some words which would come out of Ling Jingxuan’s mouth.

“Daddy, you are wrong. I am going to be an official, a high official.”

As if he had forgotten about the money thing, Ling Wen hurriedly expressed his point. His daddy spent so much money to send him to study. Anyhow, he would earn a big official for daddy.

“Haha…Well said. That’s my son.”

Hearing that, Shopkeeper Zhang laughed while touching his head, and Ling Jingxuan helplessly smiled, “Sorry to make you laugh. The kid has lived a poor life for too long, always wants to be an official.”

Though feeling helpless, Ling Jingxuan was also happy. It was a good thing that his son had the ambition, but he was only afraid his son would give himself too much pressure.

“It’s OK, it’s OK. Brother Ling, if you mean to let your son learn something under the premise not to give them too much pressure, I have someone to recommend to you. I can say he should be the number one scholar in whole Datong, on no, or maybe you can’t a second one who could be well matched with him through whole Qingyang Prefecture. But I am not clear if he has a title. Besides, he has always kept a low-profile, and doesn’t like associating with people. If it hadn’t been that he accidentally offended juren Wang when he first arrived in Datong and juren Wang was forced to have a literature competition with him, I would have never known he is so learned.”

With a wave of his hand, Shopkeeper Zhang suddenly became serious. Ling Jingxuan’s words happened to remind of him there was such a person. That literature competition was confidential. Ordinary people would never know. He only knew it since that competition happened to have been held in his Xinyuan Restaurant.

“Oh? Is there such a person?”

Ling Jingxuan could not help picking his eyebrow, even Ling Jinghan on the side could not help but cast a surprised look.

“Hmm, his name is Chu Ci, probably more than twenty years old. He opens a bookstore in town and has a nine years old son. He came to Datong about two years ago, a little cold, and not frivolous in talking and joking, but there’s no doubt of his scholarship. I have a little friendship with him. Oh right, he also likes your cold dish very much. If you are interested, I can introduce you guys.”