158. Preparatory Work Before the Surgery

“Hmm, thank you, Uncle Ling.”

The little girl nodded obediently. Then the third son took her hand, “Little sister, don’t disturb Uncle Ling. Let him check on mom. Uncle Ling, is there anything we can help with?”

The ten-year-old boy was already quite sensible. Although he was also tearful and worried, he tried his best to pretend to be calm and old, which made people feel very distressed. Ling Jingxuan smiled and said, “Well, you can boil a pot of water for me, and be careful not to let the smoke run into the water.”

If he didn’t find them something to do, he was really afraid they couldn’t hang in there. Kids were kids. However sensible they were, you couldn’t take them as adults. Thinking that his big bun also often behaved like that, Ling Jingxuan felt more determined to save their mom.

“Hmm.”

Nodding his head, the third son took his sister to the kitchen. Aunt Zhao, who was sitting not far away, was still in shock when the eldest brother, Zhao Shan, walked over with a goat, “Uncle Ling, do you think this goat will do?”

Zhao Shan was fourteen years old, and he often helped his dad with his work. He was already quite tall now, wheat-colored skin, looking kind of handsome, who should resemble his mom.

“Yeah. Shengrui, you help me kill it, take the small intestines and put them into a clean earthen pot. I’m gonna check on their mom.”

“Hmm, don’t try to be brave. Save her if you can, but no one will blame you if you can’t.”

Not knowing what he was gonna do, Yan Shengrui was kind of worried. Ling Jingxuan nodded and went into the room. And Yan Shengrui asked Zhao Shan to fetch the sharpness knife of his family, then pulled the goat in a corner in the yard, and killed it and took out the small intestines as Ling Jingxuan told him.

As he walked into the delivery room, he could smell some dense bloody smell. The women was lying in bed, legs spread open, almost dying. Seeing Ling Jingxuan a strange, she already had no strength to panic, even couldn’t fold her legs, lips moving as if she was asking who he was. Ling Jingxuan walked over and felt her pulse, then felt out the silver needles he almost sterilized everyday, frowning.

“Sister-in-law, don’t be afraid, my name is Ling Jingxuan, a doctor, now your condition is very bad, it is impossible for natural childbirth. I will think of a way to keep you and the child, if you are tired, then sleep for a while.”

His voice was as if with a force for calming people. Zhao Shulan feebly closed her eyes. The twinge of pains in the belly wouldn’t allow her fall asleep at all. But at least, her tensed heart had been calmed down. Ling Jingxuan helped her spread her legs, then untied her under clothes, and revealed her round big belly, then got the oil lamp from the cupboard aside and lit it up, used the high temperature to sterilize the silver needles, and then pricked them into quite a few acupoints quickly and accurately, to ease her labour pains and postpone the laboring time, so as to win some time for his surgery.

No sharp pain, Zhao Shulan soon really fell asleep, and when Ling Jingxuan helped her finish the acupuncture and went out, it was already half an hour later.

“Brother Ling, check these herbs.”

Laowang had been back already. Seeing that Ling Jingxuan came out, he instantly took those herb packs before him. Ling Jingxuan opened them and checked carefully. After making sure it was things he asked for, Ling Jingxuan nodded, “Brother Wang, I need a clean room with good light. You prepare for me, and then carry your wife there. Remember, be gentle. I helped her do acupuncture, and she has been asleep now. Don’t wake her up, or she’d suffer again. Besides, I want a lot of clean cotton cloth, which needs to be sterilized using boiling water.”