150. The Thing Ling Jingxuan Cared About (2)

“Don’t look down on those meritorious officials, not to mention the imperial family, wine is the best skin nourishing thing for women, and, the least thing that the imperial family lacks is women. With Shaoqing’s ability, it’s as easy as pie to sell those wine into the imperial family.”

As if seeing through his thoughts, Chu Ci said lightly, “The luxurious life of the patricians is beyond the imagination of ordinary people. Sometimes their daily expenses are enough to sustain ordinary people a lifetime of good food and drinks.”

“Well, I really belittled their consumption ability. But it doesn’t matter. I have earned enough. Chu Ci, I got something to ask you.”

Helpless shaking his head, Ling Jingxuan got up and threw himself on the counter, with that pair of sincere eyes looking at him with great interest. Chu Ci raised his eyebrows, stretched out a finger to poke on his forehead trying to push him away, “Just shoot. Don’t show that hungry-wolf look. Others may think you have feelings for me.”

With their relationship, it wasn’t a problem to make jokes, but that’s all.

“You sound like you are a stunner! My Shengrui is much more handsome than you! All right. Here is the thing. I heard from Shopkeeper Zhant that people in the imperial city said that Shengrui and Zeng Shaoqing were lovers. What is going on?”

Yeah, it was that thing. He’d feel uncomfortable all over if he couldn’t make it clear. Nearly the second he saw Zeng Shaoqing, he was pretty sure they would never be lovers, but he himself being sure of it was one thing, the truth was another. He was a jealous man. He didn’t like his man having a scandal with someone else.

“Huh? Hehe…”

Chu Ci was stunned there for a second, but instantly smiled covering his mouth. Isn’t he very smart? Why make a fool of himself now? Shengrui and Shaoqing??? Come on! Even only the two of them were left in this world, they wouldn’t become lovers. Others may not know. But how could he who saw them grow up not know? Those two were both flippant and impudent. It was only strange that they would fall in love.

“Answer me when you laugh enough.”

Ling Jingxuan’s face blackened, he also knew his question was stupid, but he just cared about it.

“If it were someone else, I can’t guarantee you. But you can rest assured. About those rumors, it should be fabricated for neither of them wanted to marry each other. So they released such fake news. Plus, they were childhood friends who grew up sharing their pants to wear. So it’s only normal those who don’t know them would buy it.”

Suppressing the desire to laugh, Chu Ci said so seriously, but still you could read a teasing smile under that pair of long and thin eyes. Apparently different from that ice-cold beauty look!

“Really?”

Sitting back, Ling Jingxuan lowered his eyes. People in this era got married earlier, and in order to reproduce their offspring, people of the imperial family or those official family would let the kids get married even earlier. Now both Shengrui and Zeng Shaoqing already in their twenties, it was only normal that they would use this way to avoid getting married, but…

“Weren’t they afraid that His Majesty would grant their marriage?”

A man is allowed to marry a man. Isn’t the queen abolished by the emperor five years ago also a man? Maybe someday what was make-believe would become true and His Majesty really grants their marriage? Like what Chu Ci said, be it the prince or duke, all have to bow to the emperor. If His Majesty really grants their marriage, dare they act against it?

“It seems that you really don’t know Shengrui. If you do, you should ask if His Majesty dares provoke him.”

Speaking of the imperial family, the smile on Chu Ci’s face quietly disappeared, after quite a while, he continued under Ling Jingxuan’s craving eyes, “Actually His Majesty isn’t a wise emperor, but only a diligent moderate sovereign. While Yan Shengrui not only holds great military power in his hands, but is also the prince that has the right of succession. The only thing he doesn’t have is the ambition for the throne. So, how would His Majesty ever have the guts to provoke him? If he doesn’t want to get married, even Her Empress Dowager could do nothing. Besides, I’m afraid His Majesty wouldn’t want him to get married.

The only prince in the Qing Kingdom that held a heavy army, and among the army, the court and the people, he had a very high reputation, once he got married and gave birth to his son, even if he had no ambition, some people would still plot against him in the dark.

“Hehe… His Majesty is strange, but what about his sons? Not afraid of Shengrui?”

As smart as Ling Jingxuan was, of course he read those implied words. To be honest, he felt relieved on hearing that Shengrui was not interested in the throne. What’s any good to be the emperor? Such a thankless job, and had to guard against so many people every day. It was a must as he did that job well. If not, he might go down in history as a symbol of infamy. Apparently not so free and unlabored as a common civilian. Throughout the five thousand years’ history of Hua Kingdom, how many emperors have ever lived over a hundred years? He didn’t want his Shengrui to die from overwork.

“What do you think? Shengrui is the youngest brother of His Majesty, ranking the ninth. He is twenty-seven now. His Majesty is the eldest son, who nearly reaches the age of no-doubt (in China, when one reaches his thirty, it is called the age of no-doubt.) Even the eldest son of His Majesty is in his twenties, plus His Majesty has been in bad health in recent years. It’s only strange if they are not anxious.”

Throwing him a faint glance, Chu Ci settled his eyes on that book again, but apparently his eyes weren’t focusing. He also had no idea why he said so much to Ling Jingxuan today. Maybe deep in his heart, he had already taken him as a friend. If he knew nothing, and one day Yan Shengrui regained his memories, given his personalities, he’d even have no bones left if he went to the capital. Those people were a bunch of hungry wolves, so blood-thirsty. Family affection? Already gone in their heart.

“No wonder…”

No wonder Shengrui got so badly injured. It should be the credit of those sons of His Majesty! Thinking of this, Ling Jingxuan smiled, that smile was so cold and blood-thirsty. He didn’t care whether it was His Majesty or princes! He could let go of the past, but if someday they tried to ride over his head, he didn’t mind clear both the old and new hatred. Of course, the premise is he and Shengrui could still be together at the time.