Chapter 26.

For the past week and a half I'd been training Benjy like a madman. Since he was afraid of guns, I trained him the only way I knew how.
A nerf war.

I decided nerf guns were the best solution for him to overcome his fear, carry it around with him all day until it felt weird not to have it, always be weary of my unexpected attacks.

He seemed to be having fun up until now.

"I dunno Caiden," He muttered quietly with a gulp, peering over the handguns if layn out for him.

"C'mon, it's no different. Here, look at this one," I suggested, taking one of the empty guns from the table and holding it in my hand, showing him the jet black weapon.
"You've been working on your target practice, and you're great at it buddy. We've gone over non-lethal and lethal shots, bones, and muscles. You're ready for this, you've earned it," I explained softly, my eyes watching his face staring down at the gun.
"What scares you the most? The sound?" I questioned, he only shrugged timidly.

I knew it wasn't the sound he was scared of, it was the aftermath. Isabelle's best friend (his mother) was killed when the Philidelphia crime family broke in, claiming it was to repay a debt. After her death, the debt was settled and a cease-fire was announced on behalf of my father. Ever since Benjy watched his mother bleed out, he'd been terrified of guns, of death.

"See the target over there? You're gonna fire at it, hit the red mark. Got it?" I asked, he nodded hesitantly as he reached for the gun, fingers twitching as he wrapped his hand around it.

I crouched behind him, positioning his hand correctly on the weapon.
" Only hold your finger in the trigger when you're about to fire, never before or after," I instructed softly, helping his fingers adjust.
"If it makes you feel better, hold it with two hands if it's too big or steady your hand, just like that." I moved his left hand until it was resting over his right.
"Now, deep breaths. Watch the target, focus on it. Feel the gun, feel it in your bones. In and out, in and out. When you're ready, fire it," I instructed, stepping from behind him until I was positioned at his side, a little distance away.

I watched as his lips parted enough so he could suck air in and out, eyes closing briefly as he cleared his mind. I studied his form, leg spread evenly enough in case of recoil, knowing he was still pretty small to take the impact. Opening his eyes, he held the gun straight, still breathing steady. He waited about a minute before pressing the trigger, his eyes darting closed as he waited for the sound, but it didn't come.

"Awesome buddy, see that wasn't bad right? That's the safety feature, as long as it's on, it can't hurt anyone," I explained after seeing his confused face.

"Oh right, wanna come take it off then?" He questioned.

"Nope, that's your job buddy. To feel the gun you have to trust it, only when you're ready it comes off. Do it again, keep doing it until you're ready for it to come off. It's just like the nerf gun, it fires when you load it," I explained.

He hesitantly began to fire the gun a few more times, the safety remaining on as he grew faster each time. Eventually, his eyes stopped closing, his body unflinching and his hands steadier each time.
"And how do I take the safety off?" He questioned, glancing back over to me.

"See that little leaver there, right next to your finger. Flick it forward," I pointed to the little flip on the gun, waiting until his little fingers came and flicked it off. He visibly gulped at the small clicking sound, glancing up at my face for reassurance.
"Yep, just like that. And when you're ready, load and fire," I instructed, moving his hand to the top of the gun, demonstrating how to reload.

After a heavy and worried sigh, he loaded the gun and held it back towards the target. He watched it carefully, his face hard in concentration. Suddenly, I heard the click of the empty chamber, watching his face twist in confusion.
"What the heck? I took it off the safety and everything?" He questioned.