Chapter 76

Oaklyn

I barely managed to guide Isabelle from the room before she broke down into tears, making me wrap my arms around her and hold her to me.

"I- I don't understand why he-" She could barely speak between her sobs and gasping breaths, making me stroke her hair softly.

"He said it all to protect you, Isabelle. He didn't mean any of it, he was just trying to get you to leave," I muttered, making her pull back, cheeks wet with tears, eyes wide with shock.

"B-But why?" She questioned.

"If the roles were reversed, would you have done any different?" I muttered back, making her face drop in understanding, going deathly pale as realization sank in.

"How was I so blind?" She questioned, putting a hand over her mouth as she shook her head, tears flowing from her eyes again.

"Because you care for him deeply, you trust him, believe him, even when you don't want to," I whispered.

It was visible when the realization of what he had done sank into her.
"He loves me," She whispered back, eyes shining with unshed tears.
"Truly loves me," She added, making me nod softly.

"I have been a fool to not see it, to not see him, I- He deserves better than this, deserves better than me-" I cut her off as I took her hands in mine.

"Isabelle, he loves you. He would have stayed away from you his whole life if you had been happy with Joseph, despite his own feelings towards you. You are all he has ever wanted, if anything, he deserves you more than anyone else ever has or will," I cut off sternly, my tone soft.

"Then I do not deserve him," She muttered, shaking her head.

"You deserve the world, Isabelle. You make Evan happy, and he makes you happy. There is no reason you two should be separated," I enforced, making her swallow thickly.

"I cannot ask him to risk himself for me, he will only be hurt-"

"You don't need to ask him, he has already made his choice, and he chose you. He knew this was a high possibility, but he didn't care," Caiden cut in from behind me, making me glance over my shoulder at him.
"The only thing we can do now is wait," He muttered with a sigh, glancing over at me.

I kept his gaze, noting the sadness and anger that lingered there, not at me, but himself.

****

It was about 30 minutes before people began to leave the room, Ace was the last one out.

He took Caiden by the arm roughly when he went to pass him, making him level him with a glare, so angry it would have anyone else on their knees.

Though, his eyes went to Isabelle.

"You are not to date that boy. Joseph was excusable due to his background, but Wylde is out of the question," He growled at her, her face hardening in icy rage, though said nothing.

His eyes went back to Caiden before falling to me.
"Miss Santidore, I hear you are to become a Fulton. Perhaps we may get to know each other better," He smiled, making me narrow my eyes at him.

"I do not wish to be in your presence for any longer than I need, Mr. Fulton. I assure you, we most certainly won't," I merely answered, raising my chin as I looked him square in the face.

I appreciated Caiden letting me handle it, not wanting him in any more trouble with his father today.

Ace Fulton merely laughed, a soft chuckle as he glanced back to Caiden, who stared at him loathingly.