Chapter 77.

Oaklyn

The day had went by slow, each class dragging longer and longer as the day neared an end.

I managed to put my hand across Lucas' mouth before he started screaming Happy Brithday at me, giggling at his excitedness as he shoved presents my way.

"God, Luca. You know I hate birthdays," I grumbled, pushing all of his gifts into my locker, trying to shut it quick enough so they didn't all tumble out before it locked.

"No one hates birthdays!" He protested, making me roll my eyes.

The truth was, I did hate birthdays.

Majority of my life, my birthday had been forgotten by my parents. My mother was always off somewhere, my father at work.

And on the rare occasion we sat down to have a family meal, I waited for them to acknowledge it.
They never did.

The staff remembered, baking me sweet treats and a cake each year, which we shared in the kitchens late at night.

Each year was a reminder of my loneliness.

Lucas had never once forgotten my birthday, never.

"C'mon, we'll be late for maths," I smiled, trying to forget the memories of all my shitty birthdays, and enjoy spending time with my best friend.

"You seen eye candy at all today?" He questioned.

"No, we've both been busy with classes," I shrugged, making him frown.

"Does he even know its your birthday?"

"He doesn't need to know. It's not that special of a day, Lucas," I smiled softly.

"Of course it is, my bestfriend was born 19 whole years ago!" He grinned, making me frown.

"And next year, I would've been born 20 years ago. Big deal," I muttered with a roll of my eyes.

"Now you're getting it," He smiled happily, making me giggle, nudging him playfully.

Math went by pretty fast, I tried my best to ignore the feeling of being watched, focusing intently on Lucas who was happily babbling away.

I glanced to my teacher, his eyes halfway down my chest.

I shifted uncomfortably, glancing back to Lucas, who seemed to be totally oblivious to him.

When the bell rang, Lucas practically dragged me from the classroom, and started to pull me in a direction.

"Why are we going this way-"

"Because! We're gonna get milkshakes!" He beamed, making me blink.

"I was gonna study in the library-"

"No!" He screamed in a panic, making me hault, my brows furrowing.
"It's your birthday, we have to have fun!" He continued, making me narrow my eyes.

"You're acting strange."

"And you're acting boring. C'mon, lets get you changed quickly, drive to the beach and get some milkshakes!" He smiled, making me sigh before nodding.

"Fine."

*******

I laughed loudly with Lucas as we walked the length of the beach for the fifth time, our milkshake cups disgarded in the bin quite some time ago.

It was a warm evening, however the water was anything but.

"No! Absolutely not, Lucas!!" I screamed as I struggled against him as he dragged me to the sea, only making him laugh harder.