Chapter 64.

Nickolas' pov:

I panted as Lucas and I collapsed next to each other, exhausted from the third round of sex tonight. 

"God, I missed you," I chuckled breathlessly, tilting my head as I saw him grinning at me.

"Oh, I can tell," He muttered with a lazy smile, making me roll my eyes playfully, unable to stop the grin appearing on my lips.  

"Cocky asshole," I huffed, only making him smile wider at me. 

I snuggled into his warmth, making him place a deep kiss on my mouth, his hand trailing over my back and running his fingers down my spine. I shifted into him at his soft touches, sending goosebumps traveling all over my skin, making him smirk against my mouth knowingly.

"One word and I suffocate you with a pillow," I warned, making him chuckle at me, kissing me once more before resting his forehead against mine.

"Rough day, huh?" He muttered, making me nod softly.

"Rough day definitely, even worse for Oaklyn I imagine," I replied with a sigh.

"I plan on going to see her tomorrow or the day after, check in on her. You're welcome to come with me," Lucas offered, kissing me softly. 

I merely nodded in reply.
"I think she needs some time to truly move on, Caiden will get her through it," I explained, making Lucas pull back from me ever so slightly. 
"What?" I muttered, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion, running my hand over his chest reassuringly.

His eyes dropped to my hand before returning to my eyes.
"I worry about her, with him I mean," He muttered hesitantly, waiting for my answer nervously as he knew I grew up with him.

I nodded slowly.

"He's a good guy when you get to know him. It takes him a while to open up to people, especially as he gets older, but I've never seen him look at anyone the way he looks at Oaklyn. It's like- she's the center of his universe, I mean, what they have is love."  Lucas only watched me, eyes soft.
"Caiden knows you were there for Oaklyn throughout her life, and he respects you for it, he doesn't want to replace you or erase all that you've done for her. But he loves her, more than he's loved anyone or anything in his whole life. She brings out the best in him and makes him happy, and although I haven't known Oaklyn long enough to ever know her as well as you do, I see how she lights up when she sees him or how she smiles when she talks about him. They love each other, truly, he wouldn't do anything to hurt her, I don't think he even could," I explained as he listened quietly. 

"You truly trust him?" He questioned, not judgementally, but genuinely concerned for his friend and curious about her once sworn enemy now dating her.

I paused, thinking over my answer.

"I've seen Caiden at his lowest when he was a drug addict and when Oaklyn got shot. I've seen him at his best with Oaklyn and Benjy hanging out. I've seen him at his angriest and I've seen him kill people. And despite all of that, I trust him with my life. No matter where he will lead us when he is Don, I will follow him anywhere," I admitted, watching as Lucas let my answer soak in, nodding briefly. 

"I guess I just haven't really talked to him to know him well enough. I trust Oaklyn's judgment on him, I just-"

"You love her," I shrugged, making Lucas nod hesitantly.

"I get it, y'know? When I saw Caiden after he talked to her or saw her walking around campus, he always had the biggest smile on his face, he looked like a love-sick puppy and had no fucking clue. I was there after Jessica, and I know how much she fucked him up. I was scared Oaklyn would hurt him, terrified actually, I just never mentioned it to him. But then I saw her and you that night, after she put him in his place in the hallway and went to go looking for him, I knew then that she was perfect for him. The more time I spent with her, the more I grew to love her, with her cheesy smiles and infectious laughter. I knew why Caiden was so smitten with her, so protective in a way he's never been before, I knew that she was the purest of people. So I understand why you're protective over her and love her, because how could you not?" I explained with a soft smile, Lucas only watched me silently, nodding once when I finished.