Chapter 75.

Evan

Trigger warning: Mentions of sexual abuse and rape. (No detail)

I watched as Isabelle stared blankly at the glass of water placed on ths counter in front of her, hands shaking.

My heart shattered when I heard her screaming my name, screaming for me to stop her husband from raping her.

I hated him with every fiber in my body.
And so I killed him.

"Thank you." Her voice was spent, whether from crying, or screaming my name, I didn't know.

Her brown eyes met mine, red and slightly puffy.

"Isabelle, don't ever thank me for anything like that. I'm sorry he- That I couldn't.." I stopped, unable to even speak.

He touched her.
And that was not fucking okay.
I never should have left her alone with him, it was my fault he got that far, if I was there he might not have even attempted it.

"It's not your fault," She muttered, making me blink at her, realizing that she could read me like an open book.

"It's not yours either," I murmured back, scanning her face, noting her busted lip and red cheek.

"Is he dead?" She asked calmly, making me hesitate.

"Yes."

She merely nodded.

She glanced back up at me, meeting my eyes.
"Good."

My heart yearned to touch her, to hold her in my arms and promise her everything would be okay.

But I didn't want to push her, overcrowd her, make her feel like a child.

"Let me clean those up, and then I really do have to tell Caiden," I muttered, making her nod softly, sliding from her stool.
"Go to my bathroom, I'll meet you there," I explained softly, making her again nod before slipping through the door.

I walked into the living room, noting Isabelle had done what I'd said, and Joseph's body still lay on the floor.

As I neared him, I saw a clump of dark hair still wrapped in his fingers.

I froze at the sight, my heart thumping so loud it was all I could hear.

Part of me wished I hadn't killed him, just so I could do it again.

I pulled out my phone, shooting Caiden a text, telling him what happened and he needed to get here now.

I then went to the bathroom.

I found Isabelle picking out my medical kit, sliding it onto the counter.

She sat on the counter next to it, making it easier for me to inspect her injuries due to the height difference.

"It won't need stitches, but it's gonna swell for a few days. Same with your cheek, maybe a bit of bruising around your cheekbone and eye," I explained as I dabbed rubbing alcohol onto a cotton pad.
"This might sting," I muttered softly, making her nod.

She hissed when I pressed the pad to her cheek, making her take my free hand in her own and squeeze softly. I stroked as gently as I could, wiping the blood from her cheek, then moving to the cut on her lip.

"How's your teeth? All there?" I questioned as I threw the used pads in the trash, glancing back at her.

"Think so," She answered with a shrug.

"What about your hair? Where did he.." I trailed off, unable to even speak it.

She merely gulped before turning her head to the side, moved her long hair from the area and showed me the damage.