4

Onika

I bring the island food all in the styrofoam to go box and walk into the school building quickly. There's a big ass bus up front that almost prohibited me from entering. I mean a big ass buff guy that thought he could intimidate me.

I walk into the building finally and head to my mama's office.

"Hey mommy."

"Nika, baby! Thanks for the food!"

Amira, who's like 19 now is in the office helping herself to mama's computer. Mama looks like she's about to take a walk around the school.

"Where you goin', you ain't gone eat nun?"

"We have a pep rally and a... special guest is coming. I need everything in order."

Amira makes a look. I'm guessing maybe my mama hired a desperate underground mumble rapper or something just based on her facial expression.

"Okay. But you will eat right?"

"Yeah. Nika you should come to the pep rally."

"Mama there's gonna be a shit ton of rude ass teens."

"I want my girls with me, c'mon."

She clicks her teeth and jangles her keys and walks away with her loud ass heels. Amira and I have no choice but to follow.

_____________

I stand next to Amira's rude ass right at the top of the bleachers with my mama. Since these are some bad ass kids, they have cops pretty much everywhere and classes slowly start rolling into the gym.

My mama looks a bit excited and I can't help to be curious about who's coming.

Security comes flooding in and everyone in the loud ass gym quiets down and scoot up their seats to see who's about to come in. I won't lie I'm curious as hell to.

Security gets to about the middle of the gym floor and in comes a tall ass stallion.

I see her. Megan in something tight but within dress code. Her hair is long and black. She gorgeous as hell and I can't keep my eyes off of her.

I look to my mama and she smirks.

My mama must have a devious plan because she listens to gospel. There's no way she invited megan unless she has a plan behind her presence.

Amira is fangirling hard as hell. She has her phone out and zooms in on Megan who waves around and smiles at everybody.

Students start trying to run off the bleachers but the cops and security are there. Mama or the school board must've dropped a bag to get Megan to come.

Carol Maraj is a smart lady I'll tell you that.

Megan grabs a mic and introduces herself as Megan Thee Stallion.

She's so damn passionate and I admire her because who's checking for me?

She begins to rap one of her hottest songs out right now glossing over some curse words and the kids are absolutely nuts.

And it gets worse as she decides to go up and down the steps of the aisles.

I mean all you see is screens and phone flash going off. Even my mama is recording and bobbing her head. It's a weird and funny sight.

After her set, they get someone to give an inspirational talk and my mama, Amira, and I go down to the floor. Conveniently, where Megan is. By the time we walk through those steps, Megan is getting her forehead patted down with a small towel and being offered some water.

"Hey, Ms. Maraj. Hey Onika. Hey Amira."

"Girl why you not texting' me back?!??" Amira jumps into Megan's arms for a hug.

"Thank you for coming, Megan."

"Course, Ms. Maraj, I wouldn't pass the opportunity up." Megan says with a genuine smile.

When Megan and I were together, she and Amira became close when the summer after Amira's 8th grade school year ended. Amira seriously viewed her as a role model. We couldn't even see each other in the house towards the end because Amira would always try to steal her away. They're still close friends even though we split up, as far as Amira tells me.

Megan spins her around and then puts her down.

"Girl you really have grown up ohmygawd!" Megan looks my sister up and down. "I remember when you was still in middle school. Don't make me crah!"

Amira chuckles.

"We needa hang out while you still in town you me AND Nika!"

Megan looks at me and gives a small smile.

"You'd be okay with that?"

I nod. One thing is, Amira spilled all the tea on what happened all those years ago and my mama ended up yelling at me. They've kinda been like chess masters moving the pieces for me so Megan and I can get together. And I'm not mad at it. I'm afraid I may have burned the bridges with Megan.

"C'mon. Hug eachother."

Megan and I look at eachother and open our arms at the same time and walk into eachother's embrace.

I sink into Megan's arms and almost want to cry. She feels so good. I miss this girl. I was hella wrong for walking out.

Her scent of flowers is still there and she brings me such comfort. She rubs my back a bit and looks down at me with a small smile. What is she thinking right now?

My chest is literally going a mile a minute. I feel her heavy and quick pulse too.

"Awww." Everyone around us says and I smirk.

We pull away and my mama and my sister and I go back to her office while Megan goes back to her bus and the kids and teachers go to their classes again.

Feels good to see Megan in person after multiple years.

_____________

And we're moving ...

Amira will make more and more appearances throughout this book than she did in book 1 and I'm so excited!