17

Onika

I'm in my cubical at the office typing away when I get a call from Megan. It's got to be urgent because she's always respectful of my work times.

"Hey, Megs. What's goin' on?"

"Nick, they dug shit up on me."

"Baby, calm down. Breathe and then tell me."

I hear Megan wheezing on the other end and crying hysterically. I can tell her manager is trying to keep her at bay.

I roll my chair back a bit and fully focus on the call.

"Megan."

"They found some shit back from when I was you hee and was scammin' fa' money, Nick. Alla dat trauma I had to work through." Megan shivers on the other end.

"Megan." I start. "For starters, we both know your financial situation at the time wasn't the best and you did what you had to do at the time. The only option you saw."

"Nick, these people ain't gettin' that. They callin' me out of my name all sorts of types of way!"

"Megan, get off the internet." I say sternly.

I understand she's frantic but she needs to just keep her distance from the internet right now.

"Onika, I can't--"

"We gon' see eachother in two weeks maybe even sooner. It's gon' be okay, Meg!" I speak sweetly as best as I can.

"Ight." She says. "Can you stay on the phone with me?"

"Yeah."

I set the phone down and get my AirPods connected and keep the phone set where it is.

I take sips of my coffee and hear Megan's steadying breathing on the other end of the line.

"Breathe."

It's about twenty minutes pass and she's still on the phone. Hasn't said a word.

"Nick, I think I'm gonna take a nap or sum."

"That's fine." I add. "I'm staying on the phone witchu did you need me."

"Thank you, baby."

"No problem, Meg. Im right here."

Is he requests a FaceTime and I accept, seeing her get comfortable in her blankets and snuggling into the covers well. She has the phone setup on the nightstand so I can see her pretty well.

"I'm right here."

I slowly begin getting back to my work and documents and every once in a while take a glance at my phone. Her eyes slowly close until I hear light snores and smile. God am I so ready to have her home with me.

To be able to comfort her physically with a hug and a hand to hold.

She seems to be calm but I stay on the call regardless. I just want her to feel safe and be okay.