31

Onika

I wake up in the morning as usual, Megan and I are staying in Houston for an additional couple of months, we've decided.

My work is sedentary so it's not gonna collide with my schedule. Works well.

Roman, our fluffy cow is already mooing as I get ready to feed our animals in the backyard.

I go ahead and turn the tv on and start grabbing some eggs to cook before going outside.

I come back inside with my shoes already dirty as hell from trekking, thankfully I didn't step in any shit.

Im semi-listening to the tv as I get some eggs cooking on the stove and coffee going.

I freeze and stop when I hear "Kali Uchis" being named on the tv followed by an "armed home robbery". Kali Uchis is Karly's stage name.

I arch my brow.

Seems fishy. Seems just fucking odd. She's one of those spiritual girls who advertises peace all the time.

As much as I still don't like hee for Shut from the last and most recently, me being stabbed by her, O wouldn't go that far.

Who else could she have pissed off?

I have my eyes glued on the tv as they show clips of her in her house vía security cameras and masked men walking in and out.

Along with a recording of a phone call to the cops.

Almost on cue, Normani waltzes into our house making me jump slightly.

"Hey, Nika."

She comes over and hugs me. She let us know last night that she was gonna swing by to "annoy" us but I absolutely begged her to come over also so we could catch up. We plan to have a big combined family and friend cook out as a house warming event.

"Hey, Mani." I say. "Meg is sleeping. You eat yet?"

The woman is in a bonnet and still has her pajamas on.

"I aint eat yet."

I crack two more eggs into the pan.

"Y'all fucked last night, I can tell."

I fake scold her with a blush going into my face, "Girl, if you don--"

She chuckles and walks upstairs to our bedroom. Megan is still sleeping.

I kinda feel bad for my roughness because her lower stomach is hurting again. But according to her it's not too bad and it's not where her cyst is. Could just be sore.

But either way I'm pampering her today.

The salami I have cooking in another pan is ready along with the coffee.

I yell for the both of them upstairs so they can come down.

A couple of minutes pass and they are still not downstairs. I mean like at least 3 minutes. It's odd.

I begin to worry. Is Megan okay? Is her pain worse??

"Baby! Mani the food is ready!"

The food is already laid out on the kitchen island.

I quickly go upstairs when they still haven't come down.

"Baby. Baby?"

I see Megan in the master bathroom.

"Baby? You good?"

Normani is by her side rubbing her back.

"Baby!"

I drop to my knees and support her. My pulse is going a mile a minute in worry as I see her. She's old and clamy. She doesn't look well. Something's wrong.

"You need to go to the hospital?"

"Nah, I'm good."

"You sure? Baby you pale."

"You got yo' period?" Mani adds.

It sounds in genuine though. Everyone that knows me knows I'm infertile and MEGAN and I have been inseparable. We're not gonna do this pregnancy scare thing again.

"Something's wrong."

Megan and I didn't even respond to Normani's comment.

"Didn't even mean to be rude but you never know."

"You feelin' anxiety or sum?"

"A lil. But not an attack or anything. Mani came in the room and woke me up and instantly I felt my dinner coming up."

"Yo stomach still feel bad?"

"No. Ion know what's happenin', Nick."

"What about Urgent Care?"

"Naw, Nick. It's prolly because I piled on all the hot sauce on my food last night is all."

Normani and I speak at the same time, our voices filled with worry. "Megan, are you positive?"

"Positive."

Something is very off this morning and I can't seem to pinpoint it.

_________

Thoughts?

Do you think Onika knows?