24. A break up occurs

Lev's POV

It was the day after I had broken down in front of Jentzen. After everything blew up between us, he decided it would be better if he went back to his house for the night. I didn't want him to leave me alone, but I knew it was better to not try and stop him. I think the space gave both of us time to clear our heads.

Today was the day I would finally be breaking up with Piper, and I didn't know how to feel as I waited for her on the wooden bench in the middle of the park I had texted her to meet me at. It was not that I was sad to be breaking up with her, but rather that I felt bad about my dishonesty in our relationship and that I'd never been able to give her the love she deserved.

There was only one person who had ever touched my heart, and sadly it had never been her. I felt a tap on my shoulder and looked up to see a smiling Piper.

"Hey Lev!" She greeted, reaching out to give me a hug before sitting down. "Is everything ok? You sounded so serious on the phone." She asked in a concerned tone. I awkwardly scratched the back of my neck, not knowing where to even start.

"Ok, before you say anything, there's a lot I need to say and I'd prefer if you'd just listen because I don't know how I'm supposed to get it all out or what I'm supposed to do in this situation and I- see, I'm already rambling and just spitting out words, but please, just sit and listen to me."

Piper nodded, indicating that she was ready to listen and that I should go on talking. I took a deep breath, thinking of where to start. "I still remember the first time I met you. You welcomed me into your life with a smile and a hug. That day we laughed, and we talked and we shared things about ourselves that made me know instantly you would grow to become a person who stayed in my life for a long while."

"From that day, I knew that we would be great together. We developed a closeness that I still think to this day is great in so many ways, but I think that closeness I saw flourishing between us was an indescribably close friendship. You know me like the back of your hand, and I likewise for you. You know there's nothing I wouldn't do to always make sure you're happy each and every day, and you know how much I care about you, don't you?" I questioned.

"Well of course I know, and I care about you too Lev, but where are you going with this?" Piper enquired, purely confused. I let out a deep breath.

"Regardless of how much I care about you, I don't know if I feel for you in every way I should, and I think you feel it too. I don't want to be the person to always only ever give you half of what you deserve, because you know how much I long for you to just be happy and always have the best in life, and I know deep down I can't give it to you. Do you understand what I'm saying, Piper?"

Piper's eyes scanned over my face, before she turned her body forward to look away from me and instead have her gaze fall onto the park right in front of her.

"I get what you're saying, and I know what you mean. I've always felt this distance between us, and I know that you love me, but I've always known you're not in love with me." She admitted.

"Piper, I'm sorry-" I began, but she cut me off with the question I was least expecting out of anything.

"Do you love him?" She asked, looking on into the distance far ahead of her instead of at me. My heart nearly skipped a beat at her sudden words. "What?" I choked out.

She smiled a little. "I see the way you look at him. The way you look at Jentzen." I smiled to myself a little. "It's the way I wish someone will look at me one day, but I know you're not the one and I can't hold you to it. So tell me, do you love him?"

"I really do" I admitted, looking over to her. She turned her head towards me to meet my gaze.

"And does he love you too?" She asked. I paused for a second before nodding. "I really think he does." I answered honestly. She gave me a soft reassuring look. "Then I'm happy for you."

She reached out and patted my leg, trying to put on a happy face but I could tell she had a lot on her mind. I didn't notice my facial expression had turned to one of sympathy until she pointed out. "You can stop looking at me like I'm a wounded puppy, you know? I'll be fine. But mark my words Lev Cameron, I only ask ONE THING of you!" She warned seriously before laughing at herself, clearly unable to hold the joke. "I ask that no matter what, you'll still be one of my best friends" she finished finally.

I smiled, nodding at her. "We've always been best friends, haven't we?" I teased, shoving her shoulder. She rolled her eyes at me. "Yeah, and everyday I wake up and wonder how I got stuck with a friend as annoying as you" she teased back. "Heyyyy" I jokingly whined. The two of us laughed.

This felt a lot better than I thought it would. Everything felt like it was falling back into place. Somehow, this feels exactly how things should've always been, yet none of us knew it until now.

Thank you guys so much for 10k reads, it means so much! I think we're now officially the most read Jev book?! Don't forget to vote and comment on all chapters, it really helps me out! Ly all <3