33. Texas

Jentzen's POV

I sat outside on a concrete ledge, the hot sun beating down on my back. I was wearing a white tank top, the atmosphere feeling too warm to wear anything else. I didn't know where Liana had got to, I'd been waiting for her for some time now. She was supposed to be in and out of the shop but it felt like an eternity of waiting for her.

"Hey" a voice called out from behind me. I turned around to see Liana, smiling at me with a bag in her hand. She sat down next to me, reaching into the bag and pulling out a red ice pop which she handed to me.

"To help with the heat" she explained, laughing. I smiled, gratefully accepting it and unwrapping it. A small silence fell between us, before I finally spoke up. "Is dad... can we go back to the house now?" I asked nervously.

She sighed, looking down at her white shoes. "I don't know, he still won't answer my texts, I think he's still busy with work. I don't know why he would drag us all the way out here just to ignore us with the lame excuse that he's too busy to even be around us" she spat out, trying not to get too angry.

My shoulders slumped. I didn't want to be here. No, let me amend that statement. I did want to be here. I hadn't seen my father in months, and I thought he actually wanted to see me and spend time with me - but from the second I arrived he'd shoved the both of us off and told us he needed to work. It would just be two weeks of him not paying any attention to the either of us.

All it was, to be truthful, was a reminder about how little care he had, to not even make a single hour of time for us. I hated that I didn't hate him, even after all he'd done. I didn't want to still love him, but he was the only parent I had ever since... ever since my mother was removed from my life.

God, I miss her. Just once I wanted to feel her warm embrace, to make her smile and to be loved like a son should, but I can't. I can't experience any parental love and all I fucking do about it is sit around and hope that my father will give me the smallest indication of care.

Liana placed a hand on my shoulder, bringing me out of my thoughts. "Hey, you ok?" She asked tenderly, her voice laced with concern. "Yeah, I'm good" I mumbled, trying to force a half smile so that she wouldn't worry about me.

"I'm staying at an old friend's house tonight, but, do you want to come with me? If you don't want to be alone with dad, that is" she offered. I shrugged, looking down to my phone which was in my hands. "We would have to let him know" I pointed out.

"Yeah, well I told him you might come with me so there's no need. Besides, it's not like he'd even notice either of us being gone even if we didn't tell him" she admitted bitterly. I nodded along to her words. As much as I wanted to not be around him, I decided to decline her offer - I didn't want to tag along to her plans like an annoying little brother, and I wanted her to enjoy seeing her old friends.

"I'm good, but thank you for thinking of me. Go, have fun" I smiled. She nodded, giving me a hug. "Text me if you need anything" she spoke before standing up and walking off. Now it was just me, on my own once again. I didn't mind being alone.

Or maybe that was a lie, maybe I did mind being alone. In a way I'd always felt alone in life, until I met Lev. He makes me feel wanted... he makes me feel seen and acknowledged for once. I smiled to myself, lost in the thought of the blonde boy.

I was so deep in my daydream that I didn't even notice someone sitting down next to me. "What you thinking about?" A voice suddenly spoke. I whipped my head around, alerted by the person. It took me a second so process what was happening, but soon I began to take in the features of the girl who had sat next to me.

She had light brown hair, tightly curled. Her hazel eyes were the kind you could easily get lost in to, like they spoke a thousand words with a single glance. And her lips, well... her pink lips were perfectly rounded, forming a sort of smirk as she looked at me. She looked my age, perhaps a little older by a year.

If I wasn't a full on homosexual, I could see myself finding her attractive. I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out. "Ah, a man of many words I see" she retorted sarcastically, causing the two of us to laugh. "I'm Evelyn, by the way" she greeted. "I'm Jentzen" I replied nervously.

"Who was that girl you were with, your girlfriend?" she immediately asked, seeming to have no filter at all. I screwed up my face in disgust. "Ew, NO. That was my SISTER" I spat out, as if the thought alone was enough to make me throw up. A pensive look crossed her face. "So, do you have a girlfriend?"  She questioned.

I shook my head no in response. "Interesting..." she hummed. A short silence passed between us before she spoke up again. "What are you doing out here all alone?"

I thought about what to say before speaking, but not many answers came to mind. "I don't know really, just sitting" I admitted plainly. She nodded along to what I was saying. "Well, if you don't have any plans, do you want to come and hang out with me and my friend?" She offered.

This was a first for me. I had never been asked by a complete stranger to hang out with them, and yet, I felt I had no excuse not to say yes. Of course, the thought of stranger danger crossed my mind but it wasn't like I had anything better to do, who ever said kidnapping couldn't be a time killer?