31. A short goodbye

Lev's POV

Walking in to the kitchen, I took a quick scan of my surroundings. There Jentzen stood, in front of the stove with a quizzical expression on his face. He was so focused that he didn't even notice me walk up to him from behind and wrap both of my arms around his waist.

"Hey" I whispered into his ear in a low voice. He jumped suddenly. "Oh, you startled me!" He exclaimed, turning around. My arms were still wrapped around him, which now made us face to face, barely centimeters apart. I smiled as my eyes scanned his features. "You look so cute when you're focused, your eyebrows all knitted together and your eyes concentrated" I mumbled with a small laugh.

Jentzen's face turned red, blushing enough for me to see the colour on his cheeks. It made me feel happy to know that I could have such an effect on him, to know that I was the cause of these reactions.

"What you doing?" I suddenly asked, looking behind him to try and catch a glimpse of what he had on the stove. "I was trying to cook, but I don't think I did it right" he mumbled in embarrassment, turning back around to look at the mess he had created on the stove. My eyes travelled to the counter where his phone was, paused on a YouTube video of someone cooking.

"Were you trying to follow a cooking tutorial?" I laughed, amused. He leaned his head back to shoot me a sad look. "You're making fun of me" he pouted. I pouted back at him. "No I'm not, I think it's sweet" I replied. He tried to stay mad but couldn't fight off the small smile that crossed his lips.

"Well it's no use, I already messed it all up. I really wanted to surprise you with something I made myself but you're right, I wouldn't know what to do even if my life depended on it" he admitted sadly, looking down at the burnt ingredients.

I tightened my grip around his sides and rested my chin on his shoulder, looking down at the pot of food. "It's the thought that counts, and I think it was really nice of you to try and surprise me, but you know you can always ask me if you ever need help. Hey, why don't I teach you how to make something?" I offered, trying to make him feel better.

He suddenly perked up, seeming happier than before. "You'd really have the patience to teach ME, the WORST COOK IN THE ENTIRE WORLD, how to make something?" He beamed. I chuckled, lifting my chin off his shoulder and turning him around to face me once again.

"You're not the worst cook in the world. Even if you were, I'd still gladly eat anything you made for me because even though it was not made with culinary talent, it was made with love" I grinned, knowing my words were cheesy. "That being said, it doesn't mean I can't teach you to make something half edible, so at least when I do eat for food I won't contract salmonella" I joked. He laughed, shaking his head. "You're too good to me, Lev."

I smiled at him, leaning in and placing a small kiss on the tip of his nose. He burst into laughter, throwing his head back. "You're so weird" he teased. I shrugged, unfazed by his words. "If I'm weird, what are you?" I retorted, folding my arms over sassily.

He smiled, tilting his head to the side slightly. "In love with a weirdo" he hummed sincerely. His words caught me off guard, it now being my turn for my cheeks to flush red. My heart felt like it was melting in front of him. He leaned in, gently pressing a tender kiss against my lips. Just as I was about to respond to it, the sound of knocking at the door caused the two of us to break apart.

"Who could that be?" Jentzen asked quizzically. "I have no idea.." I admitted, walking over towards the front door. "Wait, don't answer it!" Jentzen called out from behind me. He stepped in front of me and placed his hand on the door handle, but before he twisted it open he looked back to me.

"You never know, it could be someone dangerous! I'd feel better knowing I answered it than you if it turned out to be a serial killer" he insisted. I rolled my eyes, although suddenly became nervous that whoever was on the other side of that door had the potential to hurt Jentzen.

"No, never mind, I'll answer it" I insisted nervously. "No, I will!" He argued back, keeping his grip firmly on the door handle. "If one of us has to die, better me than you!" I yelled, trying to step in front of him. "No Lev, better ME than YOU! I'll never smile again knowing I was the cause of your demise!" Jentzen replied back, panting from the effort of trying to push me aside.

"You're too young to die, it's better me! I've lived out my life, you're but a child in this world!" I explained dramatically. Jentzen paused, stopping our physical straining. "Lev, you're older than me by 9 months and 28 days, idiot" Jentzen remarked. I raised my eyebrows. "How do you even kno- you know what? Never mind. Clearly neither of us are gonna budge, so how about we just open it together?" I offered.

"Fine, deal" he agreed. We both twisted the handle, slowly opening the door. To my surprise, in front of us stood Liana, Jentzen's older sister.

"Jentzennnn!" Liana greeted with a smile, stepping in and wrapping her arms around him. After a few seconds she broke away and looked over to me. "Hi Lev" she greeted. I smiled and nodded at her in response. Finally, Jentzen spoke up. "Liana, what are you doing here?" Jentzen asked, looking bewildered. I wanted to know the exact same thing. What reason could she have for showing up so randomly and unannounced?

Liana rubbed her hands together, an excited look on her face. "Well.... pack your bags, Jentzen, cause we're going to Texas!"