Chapter 43 - Spot x Race

Bloody Knees and First Kisses
Ship - Sprace
Era - Cannon
Triggers - Injuries, bruises and blood.

Spot Conlon was one of the most feared Newsies in New York, if not the most feared.

He could send someone running with just a look and he could do a hell of a lot worse with his fists.

But there was one person who didn't seem to care if he was the King of Brooklyn or if he was just another Newsie.

That was one Racetrack Higgins.

Spot figured he could go about his life ignoring the somewhat annoying Manhattan Newsie.

But then he started selling in Brooklyn, and despite the personality clashes, Spot found himself growing fond of the boy.

Too fond for his liking.

Spot started to find himself staying awake at night thinking of those blue eyes and curly blonde hair and how he wanted to kiss those perfect lips.

He'd never admit it to anyone outside of his head though, there was no way anyone would understand what he was feeling for the boy.

Especially not the boy he was longing to kiss.

But he somehow managed to deal with his feelings, spending as much time with the boy was a healthy coping method, right?

"Spottie," Race called out as he ran down the docks to his where his best friend was sitting.

"Don't call me Spottie," Spot called back at him, a playful grin on his face.

Race laughed as he made his way nearer the short boy. "Sure Spottie."

Spot rolled his eyes.

"Want to play some poker?" he asked. "Most of the boys are still out selling."

"Sure," Race replied. He swung an arm around Spot's shoulders. "Let's go Spottie."

Spot threw a look at Race, pushing the arm off of his shoulder.

Race walked similarly to a drunk, swaying from side to side as he laughed and teased Spot.

Spot wasn't really sure what happened next.

One moment, Race was standing next to Spot and the next there was a bang and Race was flat on the dock.

"Race, you alright?" Spot asked.

He leaned down and grabbed Race's elbow, helping the boy stand up.

Race was wobbly as he gained his footing, using Spot to prop himself up.

"Are you okay?" he asked again.

Race nodded. "Just banged my knee off the dock. I'll be fine. Probably bruised tomorrow but fine."

"No, we're not doing this."

"Don't what?" Race asked innocently.

"You know what Racer, now let me have a look at your knee," Spot told him.

Race cursed at Spot but did eventually, though begrudgingly, show Spot his knee.

Spot grimaced as he pulled up the leg of Race's trousers.

His knee was not just banged with a bruise forming.

There were bruises forming on his knee, but it wasn't just banged.

He'd managed to skin his knee off on of the boards on the dock and it was bleeding quite profusely.

"Let's go back to the Lodging House," Spot decided. "I'll patch up your knee."

"You don't have to," Race tried to argue.

Spot looked at Race unamused. "I do."

Race agreed after Spot, playfully, threatened to soak him if he wouldn't agree.

Once they were inside the Lodging House, Spot helped Race up the stairs.

Race technically didn't need help but Spot was head-over-heels for that boy and would take anything to be close to him.

Spot got him into his own room and sat Race down on his bed.

He lifted Race's leg up and started to bandage it up.

Race was passing sarcastic comments as Spot was doing so.

"Racer, kindly, shut up."

Race rolled his eyes and flicked the top of Soot's head. "Why don't you make me."

Spot grinned. "Gladly."

He grabbed either side of Race's face and kissed the boy he'd been in love with for so long.

Race didn't know what was happening, one minute he was joking around with Spot then the next he was kissing Spot.

Spot pulled away once he realised what he had done.

"I'm so sorry," he rambled. "I shouldn't have done that. I'm so sorry."

Spot started pacing across the room.

"Spot stop." Race placed a hand on Spot's shoulder. "Spot stop talking."

Spot stopped after Race telling him a fourth time.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that. It's okay if you want to leave."

"Spot, don't worry. I liked it," Race admitted.

Spot shook his head in confusion. "Why? I shouldn't have kissed you, you don't have to lie."

"Spot, come here." When Spot wouldn't move, Race went to him. "Listen, I don't mind that you kissed me. I've been wanting to do it myself for a while."

Spot looked unsure and wouldn't meet Race's eyes.

Race cupped Spot's cheek. "Can I kiss you?" he asked slowly.

Spot nodded, finally looking Race in the eyes.

Race leaned in slowly and pressed his lips to Spot's.

When they pulled away Spot let out a breath.

"I've waited forever for this to happen," he admitted.

"Tell me about it," Race laughed.

~~~
844 words