Chapter 50 - Jack, Crutchie and Race

Brotherly Ice-Cream Dates
Ship - Jack, Crutchie and Race (brotherly)
Era - Modern
Triggers - Mentions of illness.

(This is the 50th Chapter. Woo)

Jack had no idea what to spend his evening doing.

He had finished all of his homework for the weekend and just didn't feel like doing any painting.

After much thought, more commonly known as no thought at all, he decided to go down to the living room to socialise.

"Mama, I'm bored," he complained once he saw Medda in the living room.

"Hello to you too," Medda joked as her eldest son plopped down on the couch beside her.

"I'm bored Mama," Jack, yet again, complained again.

"So I've heard. Why don't you see if your brothers would like to do something with you?" Medda suggested.

"Crutchie's doing a project and Race is supposed to be going to Spot's. I'm all on my own."

As of on cue, Race came into the living room.

"Momma, Spot says he's got the chicken pox. Can I still go over?"

Medda patted the spot beside her. "Come sit here for a second."

Race nodded and sat beside her. "Am I not allowed go?"

"Baby, we don't know if you've ever had chicken pox," Medda started. "And if you get it when you're older it can have really bad effects."

Race looked at Medda worriedly. "But what about Spot? Will it have bad effects on him?"

"It depends on the person," she explained, not wanting to say anything to upset the boy. "Spot is rarely sick so he has a strong immune system. You do not have a very strong immune system and I don't want you getting sick."

Race nodded. "Okay. Can I bring him stuff though? Like snacks and other stuff."

"Why don't you and Jack go out and you can pick up some things for him," Medda suggested.

Race perked up at that suggestion, it seemed like a good middle ground.

"Is Jack okay with going out?" he asked.

"I'd think he is," Medda answered. "He's just been complaining to me about how bored he is."

"We should get ice-cream." Jack leaned forward to look at Race. "It's really warm outside."

"Is it?" Race asked. "I haven't been outside all day," he commented, mumbling under his breath.

He had said he'd been out in the morning before Medda woke up so she wouldn't make him leave the house.

Every day Medda made him leave the house and be sociable but with Spot being unwell he just didn't have the energy to go outside.

Even if it was to visit Albert or JoJo or any of the other Newsies.

Thankfully for Race, only Jack overheard him but sometimes that could be worse.