Chapter 86 - Smalls x Sniper

Dates and Missing Distribution
Ship - Smalls x Sniper
Era - Cannon
Triggers - None

Sniper giggled as she fired a stone at the head of one Manhattan leader. Finch lay beside her on the fire escape, trying hard not to burst out into fits of laughter.

In the distance church bells rang, reminding Sniper that it was noon and she had a date soon. And Smalls didn't like it when she missed their dates.

"I gotta go, Finch," she said, standing up. "Tell me if Jack catches on."

"Alright. See you, Snipes."

"Bye, Finch."

Sniper climbed down the fire escape. She was going to put her slingshot in her pocket when she had a genius idea. Finch might have disagreed about the genius of the plan but Sniper thought it was quite smart.

"Jack, I'm going to the Bronx. I might be back tonight." She waved her slingshot at Jack, hinting to him where the stones had come from. It was pointless, Jack didn't catch on.

"Alright. Be back for selling tomorrow morning."

"Sure. See you, Jackie Boy."

"See you, Snipes."

Sniper tucked her slingshot into her waistband and started to take off after a trolley. With ease, she hopped on the moving trolley headed for the Bronx.

She made it to the Bronx in record time without being asked about having a ticket for the trolley. A true win in her opinion.

As soon as she arrived in the Bronx and jumped, literally, off the trolley, she was heading straight for the Bronx Lodging House, where she knew Smalls was most definitely going to be.

"Snipes," Smalls called out as soon as Sniper entered the Lodging House. "Fancy seeing you here."

"Hiya, love. Did you remember about our date?"

"Of course I did. I have plans for us."

"Let's go then." Sniper linked her one of her arms with Smalls'. "You can lead the way."

"It's just a walk," Smalls warned. "Nothing fancy."

"I bet you it'll be perfect. 'Cause you're gonna be there."

Smalls blushed. "Shut it you. I didn't come here to be made all blushy."

The couple spent their afternoon walking around together, their arms interlinked the entire time.

"How's selling been 'round here?" Sniper asked.

"Same old. One of my regulars died so I ain't getting the extra cents from him."

"Oh damn. That sucks."

"Yeah. How's selling for you?"

"Got three boatloads in from Ellis Island," Sniper started. "They always pay too much for papes. S'posed to get more in next week."

"That's great. You selling more than usual?"

"Yeah. Saving up for winter."

Smalls nodded, she happy to hear that her girlfriend was making sensible choices. They'd been through some rough winters when Sniper hadn't saved any money and barely had enough to buy her papers, let alone food or her lodgings.

"Do you wanna head back to the Lodgings now?" Sniper asked. "It's getting dark."

"Yeah. I'm staying here tonight. I already told Jack."

"Good. I've missed your cuddles."

Smalls grinned and hugged Sniper as they walked into the Lodging House. Without needing to be told, Sniper took her hand and led her up to Smalls' room.

"Excited, are we?" Smalls teased once they reached her room.

"I want cuddles," Sniper whined. "So stop talking."

"Alright, darling. Come here." Smalls sat on the bed and held her arms open for Sniper.

With a broad smile, Sniper sat down beside her girlfriend and let herself be wrapped up into a tight hug.

"Let's lie down," Smalls suggested.

She lay down and kept an arm around Sniper, who's head rested on her chest.

"I love you so much, Snipes," she whispered.

"I love you too, Smallsie."

~~~

In the early hours of the next morning, Sniper was pulling on her hat when arms wrapped around her waist, surprising her.

"Where're you going?" Smalls asked, tiredness evident as her words slurred slightly.

"I've gotta get back to Manhattan. I promised Jack I'd be back for distribution."

"Come on," Smalls groaned. "Stay with me. Just give more minutes."

"Fine. Only five minutes then I gotta go. Jack'll have my head."

Smalls grinned and pulled Sniper back onto the bed and gave her a gentle kiss on the lips for good measure.

Sniper did not make it back to Manhattan in time for distribution and ended up selling in the Bronx with Smalls. Not that she had a problem with that. Jack was less happy when Sniper came back at the end of selling the next day, a smile on her face from a day spent selling with her lover.

~~~
762 words