Chapter 51 - Jack x Davey

When One Relationship Ends, Another One Begins
Ship - Javey/Javid (also some Jackrine)
Era - Cannon
Triggers - Internalised homophobia.

Jack Kelly didn't love Katherine Pulitzer.

He did love her but not the way he was supposed to.

Once upon a time he thought he did but as their relationship kept going on he felt less and less of a romantic attraction towards her.

That romantic attraction was replaced by a love for her that was awfully similar to his love for his boys, well, all the boys except for Davey.

He didn't understand why he felt so different towards Davey. He was just another one of the Newsies after all.

The only other person he felt slightly different for was Crutchie but Crutchie was his little brother, all the Newsies were but Crutchie even more so.

"Are you okay?" Crutchie asked him as they were relaxing in their penthouse in the sky.

Jack sighed and shrugged his shoulders, watching people walk around on the street below.

"I don't know," he admitted. "Feelings are so confusing."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Crutchie offered. "I mightn't be able to help but I'm always here to listen."

"I don't think I love Katherine," Jack blurted out, still watching the small people bustle around below.

"Could you say that again?" Crutchie asked. "Maybe a bit slower."

"I don't love Katherine. I thought I loved her as a girlfriend but I love her as a friend. I'm just confused."

Crutchie moved over to Jack's side and wrapped an arm around the brunette's shoulders.

"Have you told anyone about your feelings?" Jack shook his head. "Okay, why don't you try to talk to Katherine about it."

"I want to but I don't want to upset her," Jack explained. "She's so kind and I don't deserve her and I do love her just not like I should."

"If you don't tell her now it'll break her heart when she finds out," Crutchie told Jack. "If you truly don't love her as your girlfriend then you need to tell her."

Jack sighed and shrugged his shoulders. "I do love her though. It's weird. It feels like the same type of love I have for all the Newsies."

"You love her as a friend or a sister. There's nothing wrong with that. The only thing wrong is if you don't come clean."

"I'll tell her tomorrow," Jack decided. "I promise I'll tell her tomorrow and then, we'll see."

Jack looked at the sky as he trailed off.

How could he tell Crutchie he had a crush on a boy? Crutchie would surely hate him for it.

It wasn't normal so why did he feel that way.

"Do you love someone else?" Crutchie asked, noticing Jack was starting to go into his head.