Chapter 88 - Race and Albert

Glasses
Ship - Race and Albert (friends)
Era - Modern
Triggers - Crying and injuries.

Race started to cry from the pain that sprouted from in between his eyes as he fell to the ground.

"Race," Albert screamed. "Miss Medda. Race is hurt."

Medda appeared a moment later, rushing from the bench she'd been sitting at when Race ran head first into the ledge at the playground.

Scooping Race up into her arms, she said, "What happened, baby?"

"I hit my head. It hurts, Momma," Race cried.

"How did you hit it?"

"I was running and it just appeared and I didn't stop and it hit me."

Medda picked Race up and carried him over to the bench she's been sitting on previously.

"I'm so sorry, baby. You're so brave."

Race buried his head into Medda's shoulder but stopped when the pressure against his forehead made the pain much worse.

"Did you see the ledge?" Medda asked.

Race shook his head. "No. I didn't see it until it was, like, here." Race held his hand directly in front of his face.

"Okay. I'll ring the optician tomorrow."

"What's an opti-thingy?" Race asked.

Medda hugged Race tightly. "An eye doctor," she answered. "To make sure you can see properly."

"I can see fine. I can see you right now."

"Can you see the other boys over there?" Medda pointed to where Albert, Finch, Specs and Elmer were playing.

Race squinted and tried to make out what they were doing.

"Not really. They look like colourful blobs."

"I think you might need glasses," Medda told him.

Race shook his head. "But I'm only ten," he complained. "Glasses'll make me look stupid."

"Specs wears glasses," Medda reminded him. "Does he look stupid?"

"No, he wears cool glasses. I'll look stupid."

"What if you get cool glasses like Specs," Medda suggested. "Would you wear them then?"

Race thought for a moment before nodding.

"Only if I get cool ones. Promise I'll get cool ones." Race stuck his pinkie out to Medda.

Medda linked her pinkie around Race's. "I promise, Toni. No more running into ledges. I know your nickname is Racetrack but you don't have to race everywhere."

"But it's fun, Momma," Race whined. "I like running."

All of Race's friends ran over to him and stood in front of the bench.