Chapter 129 - Buttons

How To Score A Job In The Bowery, A Guide By Buttons
Ship - Minor Jack and Buttons (brotherly)
Era - Cannon
Triggers - Mentions of crying and the Refuge.

Jack held on tightly to Buttons' hand as the pair walked through the busy streets of New York. Buttons, despite Jack's attempts to break him out, was just after a month-long stint in the Refuge and was scared of his own shadow. The boy didn't seem to want to be near anyone but Jack.

Unfortunately, Jack had promised Medda that he would do sets for her after selling and he knew that there was no way he would leave Buttons alone so it seemed a no-brainer to bring him along.

"You doin' okay, kid?" he asked, squeezing Buttons' hand to alert him.

"Yeah. I'm okay, Jack."

"That's good. Medda said that she might have some things for you to help with around the theatre," Jack explained, "or, if you want, you can stay with me and help me paint."

"Can I stay with you?" Buttons asked quietly. He sidled himself into Jack's side as much as he could in the busy streets. Honestly, it made it easier for Jack to navigate when Buttons was tucked under his arm. "I like being with you."

"Aw, thanks, buddy. I like being with you too."

The theatre soon came into view. Bright and perfect and a haven in the midst of plain, boring, grey building.

"We're here," Jack announced, not that it was necessary, Buttons had been to the theatre a few times before and had loved it, there was no way he'd forget it. They slipped in through the stage door and walked down a hallway until they were backstage. "Miss Medda, we're here."

Medda appeared from one of the wings, wrapping a dressing gown around herself. "Hey, Jack," she said, winking at him. Jack nodded his head towards Buttons a frown on his face. All it took was a moment before she knew what Jack was trying to get across to her. "Buttons, you are exactly the kid I need. Why don't we go make sure everyone has the right costume and is ready for tonight's show while Jack finishes painting?"

Buttons looked up at Jack, his eyes big as he tightened his grip on Jack's hand. Jack raised his eyebrows at the boy who just gave his head a small shake. "What about hanging out with me for a bit then think about going with Medda?" Jack suggested.

"Yeah," Buttons mumbled out quietly.

Jack looked up at Medda who nodded to him. "Alright, bud, let's go start painting."

Buttons sat to the side while Jack went about taking out his paints and brushes. The backdrop had been left out from when he'd been working on it the night prior.

The night prior he was by himself, Race had insisted that he leave for a few hours and that he and JoJo would look after Buttons. They reminded him it wasn't healthy for the boy to only be around Jack, the other newsies would look after him. They always did look after their own.

Unfortunately, Jack's painting had been cut short when Albert came crashing through the doors saying that something was up with Buttons. Apparently, one of the younger boys hadn't been thinking and grabbed Buttons to get him to play with them. Buttons was terrified and started panicking, the boy felt bad for upsetting Buttons and started crying. All in all, it was chaos.