Chapter 14: You (For Christmas)

Narrator's POV

"Do you want to celebrate Christmas with me?" Camila wanted to spend time with Lauren.

"Aren't you going to celebrate with your family?"

"It's just a dinner on the twenty-fourth at my mother's," Camila seemed not interested in talking about her mother and the dinner.

"I am going to bake some cookies on the twenty-fourth. You can come and help me." Lauren tried to cheer Camila up as she looked saddened. She did not want to ask Camila further.

Camila smiled, "Can I?"

Lauren nodded, "Yeah..."

"Can I stay over, too?" Camila gave Lauren the sweetest smile she seldom showed.

Camila indeed looked so affable, and Lauren was looking at her and feeling weak for Camila's smile, "Aren't you going to leave for dinner?"

"Yes... but I can come back. It's only two hours dinner or less..." Camila would go to her mother's house every Christmas Eve and have dinner with them, with her mother, her stepfather, and their family. She always left as early as possible since she did not like it.

"Oh, okay...we can watch a Christmas movie," Lauren suggested.

"Yeah, it's a good idea." Camila smiled. She always spent her Christmas by herself. She did not want to spend it with her mother and stepfather. Dinah, Jade, or Lucy always asked her to join their family, but Camila did not want to.

"What do you want for Christmas?" Camila asked Lauren.

"Hmm... good food, good sleep, and a little walk," Lauren said.

"That's it?" Camila looked at Lauren. She was a little confused as Lauren did not want anything luxurious but simple things.

"Yeah? And a white Christmas would be good," Lauren looked at Camila confused.

"I mean do you want something like... a pair of pretty shoes, or a beautiful dress, or elegant jewelry or something."

"I got what I need, and I've got myself some Christmas presents, too." Lauren always bought herself something.

"Some?"

"Yeah..."

"What are they?" Camila was trying to find out what Lauren loved.

Lauren lightly chuckled, "Secret."

"Are they something naughty?" Camila whispered into Lauren's ear.

"No..." Lauren answered immediately.

Camila laughed lightly, "I'm just joking. I want to be your Santa and bring you a present."

"Oh..."

"Yes. Now, tell me what do you want?"

Lauren was thinking, "Hmm... I don't know. I can't think of anything." She got all she needed. What she wanted was what she could not afford for this moment and what she was not going to ask from someone like a nice car and a house. "You don't have to."

"But I want to. It's Christmas." Camila said.

"You mean... we get each other a present?"