Chapter 18: Trust?

Narrator's POV

Camila explained the menu to Lauren when they settled in their private booth. Lauren went along with Camila's suggestion. Camila always chose the good ones. Camila took Lauren's hand. She put it on her thigh and caressed it. Lauren looked at Camila, who was looking at her. Camila did not say anything. She only smiled with her little-cool smile. It made Lauren blush in the dim light. They were looking at each other in silence.

Lauren could not help it, and she broke the silence.

"Do you always come here?" Lauren asked since the waitresses seemed to know Lauren.

"Often," Camila answered, and her eyes did not leave Lauren.

"With your friends?" Lauren wondered if Camila always took her dates here. Someone like Camila must have a lot of dates as she was one of those popular gorgeous women whom many would line up for.

"Once in a while," Camila said.

"With your..." Lauren stopped, and she looked away. Camila frowned. "Never mind," Lauren said.

"My what?" Camila wanted Lauren to finish the sentence.

"Your dates."

Camila did not answer immediately, but she was looking at Lauren.

"It's okay. You don't have to answer that." Lauren said, and she looked away from Camila. She looked around the restaurant. She was such an observant.

Camila leaned closer to Lauren as she lifted Lauren's hand, and kiss it. Lauren looked back at Camila. "I don't date," Camila said with her serious face. She only had one ex, one relationship in the past when she was still in college. She made that girl her girlfriend.

Lauren frowned. She looked at Camila, confused. She was thinking, what were they doing now if it was not a date. Lauren spontaneously wanted to retreat her hand, but Camila did not let her. Camila placed Lauren's hand on her cheek, "I did not do date since ten years ago. You're the first."

"Oh..." Lauren wanted to believe it, but it was hard. Camila was desirable, and she had a way with words. She also knew how to act like a gentlewoman. Everything seemed so natural and genuine. Lauren looked anywhere but Camila's eyes.

Camila knew that Lauren did not believe her. She felt that pang on her heart again. "I never lie." Camila indeed always spoke the truth. That was one of the reasons some hated her, some respected her, and some others were reluctant with her.

"Okay!" Lauren smiled subtly. She was trying to analyze Camila's answer in her mind. It was whether Camila was not into dating at all, she was too busy, or she was that womanizer. It could not be that she got no chance. Lauren believed many would line up for her if she announced that she was looking for a date.

Camila gently poked Lauren's forehead with her forefinger, "what's in your beautiful mind?"

"No," Lauren said.

Camila knew that Lauren surely had many things in her mind, but she did not want to say it. Camila did not urge her to share them as well.

"Have you ever been in a relationship?" Camila asked.

"No," Lauren said. "I told you, didn't I?"

"No. You only told me I'm your first kiss." Camila was still caressing Lauren's hand.