Chapter 15: Hint of Sadness

Lauren's POV

Keana left New York for France yesterday, two days before Christmas. I was by myself in our apartment. I woke up and checked my phone. There was not any message from Camila. We last met last Saturday, and she only sent me an emoji on Wednesday. She surely did not miss me as she told me.

From Camila: 😘

To Camila: 🙂 Hi, how are you?

She did not reply to me, so I did not text her further. I hoped she would show up today or at least texted me if she could not make it. I recalled how she did not show up at the flower shop that day. Speaking of the devil, she texted me.

From Camila: Hi, Lauren! I can't make it at nine. Is it okay at twelve?

To Camila: Hi, Camila! It's okay.

From Camila: See you! 😘

To Camila: See you! 😊

I had a day off today, and I planned to bake more cookies. I would also make lunch for us since I had promised Camila that I would cook something. I decided to make Pollo a la Plancha Cuban Style. I went downstairs to make myself breakfast after I did my morning routine.

.

I was making lunch when Camila called me.

Me: Hi!

Camila: Hi, Lauren! Here I am!

Me: (I looked at the time. It was half-past eleven) You are!?

Camila: Yes?

Me: (I heard the buzz) Okay, I'll unlock the door.

Camila: Which floor?

Me: Fifth. Turn left number fifty-three.

Camila: Okay.

I checked myself on the mirror before I opened the door.

"Hi!" I greeted her.

"Hi!" She was with her little cold smile. I was looking at her. She was still gorgeous even though she looked weary.

"Can I come in?" She said. I must be zoning out.

"Oh, sorry! Please..." I opened the door wider for her to get in.

"It's for you!" She gave me a single red rose, "and this one, too." It was a bouquet.

"Thank you." I loved flowers and grew to like how she gave me a single rose every time we met. She kissed me on the cheek. "Welcome to our petite apartment."

"It smells so good." She took off her coat and winter scarf.

"I'm making the lunch."

I closed the door and went to check the chicken. She was looking around at my apartment. "I got some food and wine. Where should I put them?"

"Oh, sorry, it's messy. You can put them there." I pointed at the small dining table next to the fridge.

"What are you making?" She asked.

"It's a chicken, Pollo a la Plancha, Cuban-style," I said. "It's finished."

"Cuban?" She frowned.