Chapter 33: Still Waiting

Narrator's POV

A hundred days had passed since Lauren saw Camila for the first time this year. Camila had stopped sending Lauren flowers for fifty days. Lauren was slowly moving on from Camila. In the beginning, it was not easy since many things in Lauren's daily life were reminded her of Camila, such as the subway, the pizza place, the grocery store, two of Camila's books which she borrowed, the lingeries that Camila bought for her which she stored away in their apartment storeroom, Mrs. Kidman, whom she ran into last weekend, her clothes that Camila wore when she stayed over, and even her own bed and bathroom where they had sex.

The days they spent were short, but it was intense. Lauren knew she could not delete all the memories. She gradually accepted them and stopped fighting against them. She changed how she saw what she had with Camila. Although Camila hurt her, they did have a good time when they were together. It happened, and she could not change anything about it. She learned to see the good things and let the bad things be the lessons. She sometimes still could think of Camila. She believed it took time, and she would be fine. By doing so, Lauren was doing good so far in coping with her broken heart, slowly moving on.

Lauren was trying to see the good things in her life, and one of them was her new colleague, Normani. Normani was fun. They got along well. Now she got a colleague who she could be friends with outside the office. Lauren and Normani would get a coffee or have lunch together. Sometimes, they also would hang out during the weekend if Keana could not spend time with her.

It was the fourth Friday of April, Lauren and Normani arrived at the office earlier. They wanted to have breakfast together nearby the office. The coffee shop that Normani usually got her morning coffee was closed. They went to the closest cafe to get their breakfast. They were walking into the cafe, talking, and laughing.

When Lauren got into the cafe, the memory of Camila and her having their last breakfast in this cafe flashed back. Lauren spontaneously looked at the way, where Camila and she sat to have their last breakfast that day. There, she saw Camila was sitting at the same table and the same seat Camila took that day. Camila was sitting there, staring out of the window, with her hands were holding the coffee cup on the table.

Camila did not see Lauren yet. It was the chance for Lauren to leave if she wanted to. Lauren did not run out of the cafe immediately. She was too stunned to do so. She was looking at Camila, and her heart was heavy, which she did not feel for weeks now. She could feel that Camila was unhappy. A question popped up in her mind: Was Camila still waiting for her at this cafe since that day she told her?

"Lo..." Normani called Lauren. They had to order their breakfast. She also saw Camila, sitting by one of the tables. "We can get the breakfast to go," Normani suggested.

"It's okay. We can sit at another side." Lauren said. She did not want to leave because she did not want to run away forever. She wanted to be free.

"Are you sure?" Normani asked.

"Yes." Lauren took one last look at Camila, who was still zoning out before she proceeded to order her breakfast.

Camila was back to sip her coffee, and she saw Lauren by the counter. She also saw Normani, next to her. She put her coffee back on the table, but her eyes were on Lauren. Lauren and Normani walked to the other side and settled on a table that was the farthest from Camila. Camila's heart was weak. She did not expect Lauren would show up, but she knew Lauren did not come here for her. It was for her breakfast.

She did not go to greet Lauren when she remembered Lauren told her not to show up in front of her again. The spring air was fresh, but Camila felt her breathing was heavy. She was looking in Lauren's way, but her minds were all over the place. She looked at Lauren. She could feel how much she missed her. It was so much that her heart ached.