2. like nothing changed

THE VOICE ON THE OTHER SEND SAID; "Hey.". 

The women froze, then paused the television and sat up. Suddenly, her heart began to pound rapidly. Her body felt like it was melting, almost like ice on a hot day. "Hey, Bucky." she voiced awkwardly. "Your out," 

"Yeah," he replied, his voice sounding more relaxed than usual. "Are you still around?" 

"Well, I am not in Wakanda anymore...." She said, shaking her head and holding the phone to her ear. "I had a mission to complete-" Her voice was strong and her hands held the phone tightly in front of her ears. 

"I received your voice mail," Bucky explained, and Y/n cringed since he heard her stumble over her words like that. "I was thinking about that dinner, and a beer, I can use it...-" 

"Same..." Y/n murmured. "I'll see what I can do, to get down there...okay" 

Bucky replied, "Yeah, I'm glad to hear from you," he said over the phone. 

"You too..." Y/n replied with a small smile because she was unable to hide it and had no reason to suppress it. A beep caused her to close the phone and stare up toward the ceiling as she leaned back on the couch. 

Her desire was to go to Wakanda to spend time with Bucky now that he was no longer in cryo. Her thoughts ran through her mind and she simply wanted to understand what was going on. Among the most important questions that she is seeking an answer to is how long he has been away, and why he sounds so calm in comparison to her last encounter with him. 

It's been almost two years since everything happened, and they now had the opportunity to redeem themselves. 

She did not, however, promise she would keep out of trouble. Y/n stood up from the couch and grabbed her phone before dialling Rick. 

The phone was ringing before there was a voice on the other end, "He-" 

Y/n inquired, "Can I get a jet...or a plane...something to get me to the middle of the sky?".

"No hi, gets ruder every time we talk," Rick said on the other line, while she heard the sas in his British accent. "Mind if I ask why?" 

Her mind attempted to come up with an idea and she threw all the bad ideas into the back of her head before coming up with a satisfactory idea. "I am completing a mission that began two years ago. "Y/N said quickly. "And don't tell Nat...because that is rude-" 

"Fine, I will text you where to meet me in two hours," Rick replied. 

"Thank you, Mr British-" Y/n said before hanging up. She quickly stood from the couch before turning off the television. In addition to throwing out her food, Y/n began packing everything back into her suitcase along with her book bag, as she no longer foresaw returning to the motel once in Wakanda. 

It was true that she was on a mission to complete it, that was the intention behind her statement. 

One that she wanted to have a good ending instead of dodging a bullet. Her phone was in her hand as Y/n packed everything into her bag. She grabbed it, putting it in her pocket, not wanting to mention anything to Steve or anyone else about where she was going. 

She changed into brown pants, along with a black cropped halter top and a baggy leather jacket, bought at a thrift store. Her hair was tied in a ponytail, and she threw on her sneakers, just in case she had to run without platforms. 

The packing and dressing process took Y/n about two hours, and she dropped off her key in the main office before loading up her car. 

A message from Rick appeared on her phone before the screen turned black.