Chapter 8: Genevieve

At this moment I would love nothing more than to have a car. Also my license, but I basically know how to drive so I only really need a car to drive around. I'd just need a license to do it legally.

The walk from school to the library isn't as bad as it looks, honestly. It's annoying, but it's nothing I can't handle. Especially since it's really close to the high school.

Oh, sorry. I forgot to tell you. Last week I was hanging out with Kitty, after the whole will I/won't I be able to keep her fiasco, and I decided I wanted to volunteer at the library a couple of times a week.

I think my mom and dad were pretty chill about it, well my dad was obviously-- he doesn't really care what I do-- but my mom didn't really seem like she was listening, so who knows if she's gonna remember where I am or not.

Working here benefits me all around, honestly. I'd get 'job experience' and volunteer hours, which looks great on college applications; although I haven't really decided where I want to go for school, I've narrowed it down to some good ones.

I've done a bit of volunteering because I knew it would look good to colleges, but this one is gonna be the only daily volunteer service I've done.

I'm super glad I chose the outfit I did today, it's kinda warm outside so walking is making me a little sweaty but the oversized cardigan I layered over a cute tank top can be tied around my waist if it gets too bad. I'm super glad I decided against my Docs and wore my converse instead. My feet woulda been blistered up.

As I'm tying my hair back with the little scrunchie I had around my wrist, I see the library in my sight and get super excited. This will be my first shift, and I don't really know what I'll have to do or who I'll talk to for that, but I'm feeling the usual giddy and jittery feeling I get when I'm about to do something new. And yes, I do still wear a scrunchie... it's convenient if you were about to ask...

As I walk into the homey space, I look around and pick out everything I love about this place. How could you not?

I love our public library, its high ceilings, and towering bookshelves look so nice with the multitude of seating everywhere in the place. Our library definitely isn't small, it has two floors, and the top floor although isn't the biggest, it's really cozy up there and even more quiet than the main level.

I see someone standing behind the front counter as I approach, twisting the straps of my backpack.

"Hi, I'm here for my volunteer hours, I'm Genevieve Beck,"

"Oh, yes, yes. You're early! Well, good, I'm Jackie. I'll get ya started here hun."

She starts walking toward the back expecting me to follow and presents a couple of carts of returned books she tells me to put away. I need to sit at the front counter for a couple of minutes when she takes her break, and then I'll continue shelving books, and cleaning things as needed.

So, a pretty chill day. My dream job.

I pick up a short stack of books and weave my way around the shelves steering clear of the people I see so I don't run into anyone.

"Will you be okay if I take my break a little early dear? I didn't have the chance to eat lunch, I'll just drive over somewhere to get something and I'll be back in a jiffy," I jump at the sound of her voice through the shelves and put a hand to my racing heart.

I tell her I'll be okay and finish putting away the three books that were left in my hands before settling myself behind the desk with my backpack. I pull out my history textbook and grab my notebook and start taking notes and reading to pass the time.