Chapter 9: Genevieve

"Ooh that reminds me, I should probably get your number if you're gonna need rides everywhere."

Otis shoots me a look of fake annoyed eye roll before smiling that big smile and laughing at the offended look I made.

"This is just a tricky way to flirt with me and get my number isn't it Mr. Grey?"

I've gotten way more confident over the past week while tutoring Otis. He learns really easily when you pay attention to the little things he doesn't understand. He mainly just needs a couple of hints here and there in math, and Physics is getting easier because I give him hints on what helped me when I took it last year while doubling up on Chem and Physics.

English is a little harder on him, but I think he'll get it eventually. Usually, he writes a rough, rough draft of his paper after reading the prompt his teacher gave him, I tell him what looks like it needs a little fixing, then we go over it together to make sure it sounds okay and he and I didn't miss anything.

"You caught me Speedy." He holds his hands up in mock surrender and we both laugh as I take the phone he hands me and put my number in.

"Would it be okay if you dropped me off at my friend Scarlett's house today?"

"Yeah, sure. Do you have any remaining advice for my Physics test on Monday?"

"Just do your best. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, you'll do great. You know all the stuff, it'll be as easy as pie."

Today is a Friday and I'm really excited because my friends and I are having our annual end of September sleepover. Every year after a month of being in school we always have a sleepover the four of us, on the last Friday of the month. They're always the best sleepovers ever and this year it's at Scar's house and her parents are out of town for a while; that's mostly the reason it's at her house.

"Thanks, Speedy, that really does mean a lot."

He really looked sincere with his thank you and I smiled over at him along with a shrug of my shoulders and a 'no problem'.

"Well, I think that's gonna wrap up week one..."

We both start packing up our backpacks and I follow him out the door jumping up into his truck and slamming the door while he sets his bag in the backseat and steps into the driver's side plugging in his phone, playing his music that's oddly good and not really what I would expect him to listen too.

"What's your favorite type of music?"

"I don't really know my favorite, I like a lot of different things from different genres. I have a playlist for each type of music I like for whatever mood I'm in."

"That's cool, this playlist honestly isn't something I'd expect you to listen to honestly, I don't know why I always just pinned you for a trap kinda guy. I mean most guys like that music. Oh and take a left up here."

"Well, I do like trap, I guess, but I dunno, sometimes it's nice to switch things up. How 'bout you?"

"I like classical, cause of piano. But, I like different types of rock for the most part. Oh, and I think of the girliest pop that's ever been played on the radio in the 2000s, like Pink, Katy Perry, Ariana, Rihanna, Taylor Swift... The best."

I make a mwah sound and smile out towards the road.

"Oh, you do now?" He pulls out his phone and scrolls taking glances at the road as he does so and clicks on something just as California Girls starts playing through the speakers and he turns it up so much I can feel the beat in my toes.