Chapter 18: Genevieve

So, my first class was obviously great, and as I started walking to my second class I was in a happy mood. I was super duper excited for second period, it felt like I hadn't played piano in years. I was buzzing with excitement at the prospect of playing for the choir and found that today, might not be the worst day ever like I thought it would be.

I still wasn't the biggest fan of today, but I had to admit that my day started off pretty good, especially when I thought today would make me wanna claw my own eyes out.

Well, that's not really true, I was looking forward to my library shift, and I knew seeing Otis wouldn't make me wanna claw my eyes out.

Ugh, stop.

shoving the pesky thoughts back into the depths of my brain, I push open the heavy doors of the choir room and sit down at my piano bench, as groups of people file through the doorway laughing and talking before class officially starts.

As I hear the bell ding I shuffle around and straighten out the sheet music in front of me and begin playing as they start singing.

I get kind of lost in the music and the hour goes by too fast as my fingers stop their dance across the keys and I hear the next bell of the day ding for class to end.

It ended too fast.

The memory of the music echoes in my body and I remember how lovely it is to be able to play this instrument, and how I should be more grateful to my mom for pushing me so hard.

I sit at my bench waiting till the crowd by the doors file completely out before I drag my finger across all of the keys and pick up my stuff to head to my third class.

***

Math was math, and you know who was you know who.

my last class was fine too, but not as exciting as my first three.

I walk to my locker with a smile on my face as I pack my bag and make my way through the crowded parking lot filled to the brim with angry teenagers trying to make their way out of the parking lot as fast as they possibly can, trying to leave the place they've been cooped up in for at least 6 hours.

I find my way towards Otis's car and climb in as he closes the notebook he was writing in, waiting till I buckle up until he starts the car and backs out of his space.

"So, Mr. Grey what is on the schedule for today's session?"

"Well, I was thinking we'd start with a little bit of math, then I think we should revise my paper, it's done I just have to make sure there are no errors. Then I have physics homework but I don't think you'll need to help me with that, I think I get what's going on now."

"Perfect! because I have some more stuff to do at the library than usual..."

The drive feels short as we park, and he gets out and opens my door before I was finished gathering my stuff and was able to open the door on my own.

I gave him a wide smile as I hopped out and I felt the palm of his hand brush the small of my back. my movement stuttered as my feet hit the ground and I froze for a couple of seconds as Otis looked at me with a smirk on his face and straightens his bag as we walk towards the front doors.

He tells me he'll head to our usual table on the top level and I give him an okay as he takes my bag off my shoulder and heads upstairs.

"Hi, Jackie!"

"Hey sweetheart, I'm so glad you're here! I thought we'd start with unpacking the new boxes of books and I'll get them ready to shelve. You can shelve the books on that cart over there afterward," she points to the cart behind me and I turn to see a couple that I'll need at least an hour to finish putting away. "And I think you'll have to man the desk for a couple of minutes while I do some stuff in the back."