Chapter 38: Otis

Jesus Christ, Eloise is the scariest person I've ever seen.

Almost as scary as G's mom.

Shit I hope I don't ruin my rep with that first impression...

I can tell if Speedy's mom has one more mistake on me, I'll be in deep shit.

"So, how long are you staying?" Genevieve asks, mouthful of eggs while we're all sitting at the table eating.

"Not sure. The convention is a week, but mom took off work for longer so maybe longer."

"Oh, Okay." Genevieve squeaks out and I grab her leg under the table, drawing circles on her thigh to help her calm down.

I know surprises get her anxious and seeing your sister after so long definitely throws her off schedule... I'll do anything I can to alleviate her nerves and let her know that I'm here.

"Genevieve told me you just graduated med school," I start a conversation with Eloise and she brightens at the mention of her achievements.

"Yeah, I did, Peter graduated a year ago, and now I'm starting work in the same hospital."

"That's so cool you guys work together, when I was a kid I used to want to be a trauma surgeon, I guess my mom made me watch too much Grey's Anatomy," Everyone at the table laughed—well except for Eloise, she just kinda cracked a smile, but its better than nothing.

"So, what do you wanna do now?" Eloise asks in a serious tone that lets me know there's a right and wrong answer.

"Well, probably not a trauma surgeon, I don't think I'm smart enough for that—"

"Oh shut up, you're definitely smart enough for that," I turn towards G when she interrupts me and my features soften when I see her frame leaned forward over her plate as she plays with her fingers, swiftly looking up at me making my heart lurch.

I don't deserve her.

"I've been tutoring him after school for a while at the library while I work, it's kinda fun. Have I told you about my job? It's so cool, I work like every school day and Otis drives me there, I'll help him whenever I go towards his direction in the building, and just shelve books basically the whole time."

"And this doesn't take time away from piano does it?" Eloise points out after listening to Speedy about her awesome, new job.

Speedy frowns slightly before recovering and answering quickly, "no, I have choir to play, and mom and dad still have me play a new song for them every Sunday..." she says almost gritting it out in annoyance, Eloise not paying enough attention to notice the undertones in her voice.

"Genevieve, you know if you don't keep practicing you'll never get into Juilliard like you want to," Eloise sighs as she moves to stand up.

I watch Speedy as her eyes flutter and look the opposite way Eloise and Peter are currently walking towards. Once I hear them leave I make slow movements to get out of my chair and grab the empty plates left on the dining table place settings. I keep glancing towards her trying to gain some sort of sign that she wants someone to talk to her.

I don't want to do anything wrong.

What if I comfort her wrong?