Chapter 45: Genevieve

After Eloise left rather abruptly, Otis and I packed a bag with some clothes and other stuff for me and we left in separate cars headed to his house.

He thought it'd be best to let the dust settle while I'm at his house for a couple of days and I reluctantly agreed, only after he cleared it with his mom, who was surprisingly chill about it all. She said she was going to stay with a friend for the weekend with the twins for a little girls vacation. I knew it was normal for parents to not want their kids to have sleepovers with their significant others and I guess I never really wondered if it was necessarily okay for me to be there. I'm just happy his mom trusts us enough for this.

After we made it back to his place, we settled on his bed with a computer and made a point at researching a little bit about the emancipation process.

The information we gathered proved that even though it sounded like a good idea in the beginning, the hassle it would put me and everyone in my family through didn't feel fair.

I know they never treated me with the utmost respect, but getting emancipated sounds like more work than I actually care to deal with.

I'll be going to college in under two years, so why not just wait it out.

I can do it.

I can move away after I graduate and never look back.

"So, you for sure don't want to get emancipated then?" Otis asks after I think for a while.

"Nah, I'll wait it out. Ignoring them might be the best option for me. I'll move back in a couple days and deal with the consequences, but for now they're gonna have to be stuck with me until I move out." I say and a ping sounds through the room.

As I look down I see a name I haven't seen in a while light up my screen with two notifications.

From Ashton to me

Hey Genevieve. I know you haven't heard from me in a while but I heard from Eloise.

Call me.

I sit and stare at the message for a couple minutes until Otis says he's leaving for open gym and tells me he'll be back in an hour or two.

"Okay," I mutter before giving him a kiss and a smile.

From me to Ashton

What did she tell you?

From Ashton to me

Just call me.

I rolled my eyes to myself before clicking his name and pressing the call button.

It probably rings for two seconds before he's picking up and silence rings through the line.

"Hello?" I ask hesitantly after more silence than I'd like takes over.

"Eloise told me she's leaving home earlier than she wanted. She wanted me to tell you... she also wanted me to tell you that mom and dad are extending their trip and that... I'm coming home."

"Wait, w-what, Ashton. No. Just–why-why is this going on, you guys are just swapping me around like I'm a puppy from a divorce."

He laughs shortly before continuing, "Genevieve, I know this keeps uprooting your routine and this might be annoying because we haven't talked in over a year and a half, but... I heard what's been going on there." He pauses and I wait to see what else he says.