Chapter 15: Genevieve

It is hot right now, temperature-wise, and guy-wise.

That was one of the stupidest things I've ever said, but I'm stupid around Otis, so I guess it's nothing new. I'll be honest I did not know what to do when he picked me up earlier today when I was trying to do the dishes.

I knew no one liked doing dishes, and I figured it'd be a nice thing to do for everyone, but apparently, he didn't like that idea for some reason. Now, though, I'm left speechless once again because Otis Grey is shirtless. Like shirtless with his 6 pack out.

I keep looking over at him with wide eyes, I know I'm ogling him, but I try my best to be sly with it so I don't get caught and I think I'm doing an okay job. I do have to say, he does have a tattoo, and it is am-a-zing.

It's really cool; he has little birds scattered along the very top part of his back, with lines swirling around his side, ending right above one of his hip bones.

I know the beach on a hot day is usually when you wear a bikini and have fun and stuff, but I completely forgot about the fact that wearing a bikini meant everyone would actually see my body.

I see Otis. Perfect.

He'll see me. Not-so-perfect.

I slip off my shorts and set my bag on the towel that I laid next to everyone else's stuff in the sand, not completely ready to show my body yet I keep the XL shirt on and turn on the speaker Vic Naomi brought from her house and connect it to my phone blasting my surf rock/classic rock playlist I made when summer started. I felt happy that I got to listen to it one more time before fall descends upon us all.

I like fall, but there's just something about summer vibes that makes me feel happy.

The first song that plays is Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears and I bask in the sun as I put my hair up and my sunglasses down and sit cross-legged on the pink and patterned towel I brought.

I sing along quietly to the lyrics watching my friends jump off the cliff and splash each other thinking this is life right now, and I love it.

I rummage through my small backpack, pulling out one of the books I brought, reading as I change my position and lay on my stomach.

"C'mon Speedy, let's get ya into that water."

I look up from my book startled to see a dripping wet Otis standing over me with a smile and his hand out, the skin begging me to reach out and touch it to let him pull me up off the ground.

The tattoo is right in front of me.

I swallow to get rid of my dry throat. "No, that's okay I just wanted to finish this book today, not really in a swimmy mood..."

"Is that so? Why do have a swimsuit on then?" His eyes shift to the light purple bottoms I chose to wear today on show with my shirt riding up.

"Well..." I start but lose the words and feel my face tomato as I pull the shirt back down.

"Let's go Speedy, I'm not taking 'no' for an answer on this one."

He holds out both hands and I sigh putting my book back into my bag, taking off my glasses reluctantly. I take his hands and pull myself up before ripping my shirt off quickly without thinking too much about it.

Now, he's staring. Ugh.

He might wish I kept the shirt on or something.

It's fine, he's not thinking that...

He takes my hand and we head up the thin grassy and sandy path up to the cliff; he's still holding my hand as we approach the edge and my heart is beating a mile a minute.