1

Freshman year

Sekani💙

I was over my homeboy Von house with our other friends. We weren't talking about much. They're not that much older than me. I would be a sophomore with them but my birthday's late.

Eli- "so what's up wit chu and that one girl ace"

Me- "which one" we all started laughing

Chris- "ain't shit"

Me- "it ain't like they want me forreal"

Von- "you only a freshman, too young to be worried about a real relationship anyway"

Me- "nigga we're the same age my birthday just late"

Kash- "still a baby" I smacked my lips then Von phone started goin off

Eli- "ooooo who blowin dat nigga phone up" we all started teasin him

Von- "calm down. it's my sista" he got up and went to the kitchen to get something and then upstairs. He came back down after some time.

Kash- "why she ain't come down hea"

Von- "cause she ain't want to nigga."

Kash- "igh damn my bad" we all knew Von had a sister but we never talked to her. Any time we'd see her she'd be looking down and would only speak in Von ear.

I've known him since I was in 6th grade and he was in 7th so that's also how long I knew Sage. I always thought she was cute, but she just didn't talk to anyone like anyone at all. We've always been in the same class, since 6th grade, and not once have I seen her speak to a teacher or a student.

Honestly I don't know what her voice sounds like. I think she's just weird and doesn't like anybody, I see sometimes people at school would pick on her for not saying anything. Von would of course step in and she'd be good that day but it starts over the next.

I think she's cute and have for a minute. I can't really say anything because that's my friend sister and you know if you fuck up wit yo friend people then you fuck up wit them.

It's Saturday so we not really worried about staying out late but we do all still have curfews. So, everybody but me left around 10. I was waiting on my grandma to come pick me up.

Me- "what's wrong wit cho sista"

Von- "what!?" he asked and he seemed like he was getting mad

Von- "you tryna make fun of ha or sum bro!"

Me- "von no. i just wanna know why she don't talk to nobody"

Von- "don't worry about it."

Me- "bro you know you can talk to me, i wouldn't make fun of her or nun like that" he took a deep breath

Von- "she has autism"

Me- "i've heard of it, but what is it"

Von- "basically it's just very hard for her to interact with other people"

Me- "oh i'm-"

Von- "don't say sorry. cause my sister is perfectly normal"

Me- "right, my bad"

Von- "on a good day she'll speak to me and my mom and onna not so good day she will barely speak at all"

Me- "is that hard on you when she doesn't speak?"

Von- "yea, but we don't push it because if we do she could have a panic attack. so we just make sure she eats and we speak to her, we don't force her having to speak back"

Me- "so this is why her head is always down at school and we never see her when we're over here"

Von- "yea, and that's why i ask y'all to come over here so i can make sure she straight"

Me- "that's coo. you think she'll open up to more people?"

Von- "i hope so, me and momma not gon be here forever and i want her to have at least one other solid person in her life"

Me- "think she'd talk to me"

Von- "naw you wayyyy too loud for her" we both laughed

Me- "mmtch mannn, watch me and ha become besties"

Von- "bullshit. and don't bet shit. cause ian bettin on my sista"

Me- "whateva but we gon become friends befoe highschool end"

Von- "umhm, whateva you say ace"

Me- "she might be my girlfriend"

Von- "igh see na you pushin it. my sista ain't finna date no hoe"

Me- "i can change"

Von- "you can, but will you? no."

Me- "whateva nigga" I said throwing a pillow at him then we heard a car horn.

Me- "welp that's my ride"

Von- "igh" we dapped each other up and I left out.

Gma- "have fun?" she asked as I got in

Me- "yea" I looked in the back and my brother and sister were sleeping

Gma- "wanna come to my house tonight?"

Me- "no, i gotta get them and myself ready for school"

Gma- "ok" we drove to my house listening to her favorite R&B Old School radio station. When we pulled up to my house I told her thank you and that I loved her. I got them out the back and we went in the house.

I put them down in their beds and was about to walk out.

Lena- "kani"

Me- "yea" I said turning back around to her sitting up

Lena- "where's our parents" I let out a sigh and went to go sit on her bed

Me- "we don't gotta worry about them right now, ok?"

Lena- "ok"

Me- "but just know our dad will come back"

Lena- "mom?"

Me- "no"

Lena- "ok" I kissed her head and told her to go back to sleep. I was gonna leave but remembered I do have to get them dressed in the morning so I started picking their outfits out. Once I was done with that I grabbed their bookbags and put them at the door. I made their lunches and put them in the refrigerator then went to my room, I picked my outfit and made sure I was straight.

Our parents aren't present as of right now. My mom and dad had a horrible relationship but would still fuck around with each other, after the twins were born she dropped them off here and left. When they turned 1 my dad got arrested and will be locked up for 11 years. So, I've been taking care of them and my grandma helps me. They're 4 now.

I use the money my dad has, that's what he tells me to use until I can start working for him. I know he doesn't want me to but it's honestly the fastest way I'll make money to provide for them and myself and also to get them what they want.