Chapter 4

We had arrived at Hogwarts and were now sitting at our tables. The first years had already been sorted and and most people were finishing up eating.

"The food is the one thing I miss about this place during summer break," Lee say huffing after he was finished.

Dumbledore stood at the front of the hall waiting for student to notice.

"I must ask for your attention while I go over a few things for this year. Mr.Filch, the caretaker, has asked that I tell you the list of objects that are forbidden inside of the castle. These include screaming yo-yos, fanged frisbees, and ever-bashing boomerangs. The full list of 437 items can be found in his office for anyone who would like to check it." Dumbledore said with a slight smile, " I would also like to remind you that the Forbidden Forest is in fact out of bounds for students, as is Hogsmeade for any student who is below third year."

The first Hogsmeade trip, I wonder if that's when Cedric and I will go in our date.

Dumbledore continued, "I am also sad to announce that there will be no Quidditch taking place this year."

"What?!" Fred and Geoarge said in unison look at each other.

Ignoring the many outbursts in the room Dumbledore continued his speech, "This castle will not only be your home this year but home to some very special guests as well. You see, Hogwarts-

Dumbledore was interrupted by a door opening and the ceiling of the hall turning black with thunder. Some people screamed in terror. A man in a cloak stood in a doorway by the teacher's table, he took out his wand and shot a spell toward the sky, calming the ceiling.

"That's Mad-Eye Moody," said George leaning in toward our friend group.

"The Auror?" asked Lee with a scared look on his face.

"Yeah," said Fred, "Half of the prisoners in Azkaban are theirs because of him."

I'm not sure why he was here but I didn't get a good feeling from looking at him.

"Ahh, may I introduce your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Moody," Dumbledore said with a smile, "Anyway, as I was saying Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event, The TriWizard Tournament. The tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school a single student is selected to compete. Now let me be clear. If chosen, you stand alone. And trust me when I say, these contests are not for the faint-hearted."

"You're joking!" yelled Fred from beside me.

"I'm not joking Mr.Weasley though I did heard a good one this summer about a troll, a hag, and a leprechaun who all go into a bar-"

Professor McGonagall cleared her throat causing students in the hall to snicker. Dumbledore quickly looked at her and turned back to address the crowd.

"Umm- but maybe it is not the time," Dublmedore said slightly stumbling over his words, "Where was I? Oh yes, the TriWizard Tournament. Some of you know what the tournament involves, so please forgive me while I tell those of you who don't know what the tournament entails."

I had never heard of this tournament before so I leaned forward in my seat ready to listen. Fred and George seemed to know exactly what it was and were excited about it, this scared me a bit.

"The TriWizard Tournament was first established some 700 years ago, as a friendly competition between three wizarding schools. These schools were Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang. A champion was selected to represent each school, and the three champions competed in three magical tasks. The schools took turns hosting the tournament every 5 years, and it was generally agreed to be an excellent way to establish ties between young witches and wizards of different nationalities. That is until the death toll mounted so high that the tournament was discontinued," said Dubledore.

Several gasps came from the crowd including from my mouth. Why on earth would they try bring back a tournament with such a high death toll?!

"There have been several attempts over the centuries to bring back the tournament, none of which have been successful until now. We have worked hard over the summer to ensure that this time around, no champion will find him or herself in any mortal danger. The head of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving in October, and the selection of three champions will take place on Halloween. An impartial judge will decide which students are worthy of competing for the TriWizard cup."

Everyone started chatting and talking about the tournament. Some talking about how it seemed scary and others saying how they were so excited to enter and win eternal glory and the prize money.

"As excited as most of you are to bring the TriWizard cup to Hogwarts there have been a few rules set into place by the ministry. I welcome Mr. Barry Crouch to go over some of the rules set in place," said Dubledore, motioning his arm out to Mr. Crouch.

"Thank you Albus. The Ministry of Magic has decided that only students of age, which is 17, are allowed to participate in the tournament," said Barry Crouch before getting interrupted by students in outrage.

"That's rubbish!" yelled George.

"We'll be 17 in April! You can't stop me from entering!" yelled Fred alongside him.

A lot of the under aged students were yelling alongside the twins. I honestly felt so relieved knowing that none of my friends would be able to enter.

"Silence!" Dumbledore raised his voice so that all of the students would settle down.

Barty Crouch continued, "This is a measure we feel is necessary, given that the tournament tasks will be difficult and dangerous, whatever precautions are taken, it is highly unlikely that students below 6th or 7th year will be able to handle them."

"I personally will be making sure that no underage student will be able to submit their name for the tournament" said Dumbledore, looking out at the students, "The students of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving in October and be with us for the greater part of the year. I know you all will extend a warm welcome to them once they arrive. Now, it is getting late and I know it is very important for you all to get your rest to be alert at your lessons tomorrow. So, bedtime! Chop-chop everyone!"

The students got up from the tables making their way to their respective common rooms.

"Well I for one am glad that none of us can enter," I said looking at the boys.

"Are you crazy!?" George asked, looking at me like I was in fact crazy.

"Do you know what we could do with eternal glory and all of the money?!" Fred added on.

"You could also end up getting killed!" I said with a shocked tone.

"That would be a risk we are willing to take," said George as we walked back to the Gryffindor common room.

We got to the common room and I was so tired that I went straight up to bed. I was sharing a dorm with Angelina Johnson, Alicia Spinnet. We had all shared a dorm together since our first year at Hogwarts. I considered us all good friends but I was definitely not as close to them as I was with the twins and Lee.