Chapter 11

We had only a few short weeks until the Yule Ball. Mum had written back quickly saying that she would find the perfect dress to send.

I was on my way to the owlery to pick up my dress. I had yet to get a date but I was going to the ball regardless of if I had one or not.

After grabbing my dress I quickly went back to my room to drop it off before I went to the mandatory meeting called by Professor McGonagall. I walked into the room and boys were seated one one side and the girls on the other. I saw an empty seat next to Hermione and went to sit by her.

"Do you know what this is about?" I asked.

"No idea," she whispered back as McGonagall and Filch came into the room standing by a big record player.

"I have called you all here today because of the Yule Ball. The Yule Ball has taken place along side the TriWizard Tournament for centuries. It will be an exciting time but it is first and foremost, a dance."

At this all of the girls started whisper in excitement while the boys groaned. I don't know why everyone was so giddy, we've know about this ball for awhile now.

"The house of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizarding world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you, in one night, besmirch that name by behaving like a babbling bumbling band of baboons," said McGonagall, "Inside every girl, a swan is waiting to emerge-

Ron started whispering something to Shamus next to him causing McGonagall to look at him.

"Inside a boy a courageous lion. Mr.Weasley if you will," she said motioning for Ron to stand.

I noticed the twins giggling and Harry leaned back to say something to them.

"Now Mr.Weasley if you would, please place you hand on my waist," she said.

"You're what?" Ron said looking nervous.

"My waist," said McGonagall grabbing Ron's hand to place it on her waist.

One of the boys whistled causing Ron to throw them the evil eye.

"Are you ready?" McGonagall said to Ron, "1, 2, 3. 1, 2, 3." She said dancing around the floor.

Fred and George were pretending to dance to the music.

"Ladies and gentleman please stand and find a partner," said McGonagall.

Most of the girls stood up but the boys just stayed sitting. Neville was the first to get up and ask Ginny to dance. Some guys followed suit. I was talking to Hermione when Fred walked over.

"Care for a dance my lady," he said bowing to me.

"Don't mind if I do," I said taking this hand.

Fred wasn't too bad of a dancer, he only stepped on my feet a few times. We had been dancing for awhile and were just messing around at this point. Fred was spinning me and dipping me. McGonagall has gotten on to us a few times but eventually just gave up.

"You know, you're not too bad of a dancer," I said a looking at Fred.

"You're not too bad yourself, love," he said smiling back.

After we were finished practicing our dances I went to find Cedric. I soon found him sitting in a windowsill.

"How was practicing dancing?" I asked.

"It was good. I'm not half bad," he said.

"Yeah, I'll believe that when I see it," I said leaving against the window.

Cedric out out a hand offering it to me. I accepted it and Cedric twirled me around making me squeal.

"I guess you aren't half bad. I won't have to pray for Cho then," I said laughing.

Cedric had asked Cho to the ball last week and she had said yes. I was so happy for both of them. He had a crush on her and I hoped they started dating soon.

...

Fred, George, and I were now sitting in study hall. Normally study hall was a little bit more fun but today Snape was watching over us and he did not tolerate talking. Ron, Hermione, and Harry were sitting down the table whispering back and forth. Snape kept hitting the boys in the back of the head because they wouldn't be quiet. I saw Fred writing a note that said 'Get a move on or all the good ones will have gone'. I rolled my eyes as Fred threw the note to Ron.

"Well who are you going with?" Ron whispered.

Fred balled up a piece of paper throwing it at Angelina Johnson. She turned around and gave him a questioning look.

"Will you go the the ball with me?" he mouthed using motions so she would understand what he was saying.

I got a ping of jealousy when he asked her that. I'm not sure why. It's not like I expected Fred to ask me. I knew the smile I had on my face dropped so I looked around to see if anyone noticed. I made eye contact with George who gave me a smile. I smiled back, hopefully he hadn't noticed.

"Me?" she mouthed pointing at herself, "Yeah, okay."

Fred turned and winked at Ron.

"Mal, do you want to go to the ball together?" George said leaning toward me.

"I'd love to Georgie," I said sending him a smile.

Hermione got up handing her workbook to Snape and stormed off. Ron must have said something stupid again.

...

It was the day of the Yule Ball and I was getting ready inside my room with Alicia, Angelina, and Hermione had joined us. I had always loved spending time with Hermione but as we got older I started to like her more and more. I wish Ron would get his act together and ask her out already. Hermione was going to the ball with Victor Krum, Angie with Fred, Me with George, and Alicia with Roger Davies.

"Fred and I are going to have the absolute best time," Angie gushed for the hundredth time tonight, "I hope he kisses me."

I caught myself rolling my eyes and looked to see if anyone had noticed. I noticed Hermione starting at you. She gave me a 'you okay' look and I nodded to her. I don't know why I was being like this but she was starting to annoy me with her gawking over him.

We had finished most of our hair and makeup and it was now time to put on our dresses. Hermione went first putting on her dress first. It was different colors of pink, fitted at the top with ruffles down the bottom. Alicia put on her dress next, it was a tight fitted red dress. Angie had put hers on next because I was finishing up my makeup. Her dress was fitted at the top and tulle poof at the bottom, it was a light blue color. I went into the bathroom to put in my dress. I absolutely loved the dress my mother sent me. My dress was a strapy emerald green dress. It was fitted at the top with a v neck line and the skirt poofed out at my hips, the skirt had a high slit.

I exited the bathroom receiving gasps from the other girl.

"Mal, you look absolutely gorgeous," Angelina said.

"There is going to be guys all over you," said Alicia.

"Ready to go?" Hermione asked.

"Hold on, I have to put in my earrings and shoes," I said.

I ran to my closet grabbing my high top white converse and added gold dangly earring to complete my look.

Pictures of the dresses are at the beginning of the chapter!
-A