HTSCF CH 064 Special Mission Part 01 Encounter

A/N: First off, thanks so much for waiting for this arc guys! I was seriously unsatisfied with the original version, probably the result of being uninspired when I wrote it...

These past two weeks, I kept trying to brainstorm a better idea or a rewrite but struggled and struggled. Then, thanks to a new reader, ByulKang, I finally found something I'm happy with!

Originally I wanted to split the arc into two parts with 10K+ words, but I barely started writing/editing today so that's not happening. Instead, I'll be posting daily chapters with 3K+ words minimum. This is the first arc I'm writing/editing as I post, so I apologize if it's a bit chaotic. All the other arcs were written long ago (I wrote/word vomited the story in its entirety around October 2021) and only needed editing before posting.

Anyway, I'm quite excited for this arc and I hope you guys will enjoy it too. 🤗 Right now it's 2 AM. Imma sleep and wake up to write/edit some more. Expect another post today/tomorrow! 😁

[Part 1: Encounter]

"Certainly, my Host! Transferring to the world 'The Cannon Fodder Strikes Back!' in 30, 29, 28..."

A nostalgic, restraining warmth swaddled Jun's body. Unable to move or open his eyes, the darkness surrounded and accompanied him. Outside, he heard distant, muffled voices.

Was he being kidnapped again?

|System?|

| Yes, sort of, not really. Technically, no?|

That didn't sound very reassuring, not that he wanted to be reassured he was being kidnapped. Having experienced it once before, it was not as exciting as imagined.

|Just give me the plot...|

Once he finished skimming through the plot, Jun's face was full of black lines. What a dog-blooded storyline. Furthermore, it was a BE—bad ending! Although the thrice betrayed, reborn cannon fodder protagonist's resentment was resolved after he succeeded in his revenge, he died all alone from poisoning in the end.

|Who am I in this world?|

'Hopefully not the protagonist.' Jun mentally crossed his fingers. There were other "cannon fodders" in this world's plot to choose from so please spare him the agony.

|Dearest Host, you are the mermaid! Er—I mean, merman...|

|... System, I'm not that mean to you, am I?|

|No, the Host is a very good host.|

|Then why...?|

In the last world, he was the unnamed Townsperson B. Now he wasn't even a "cannon fodder" by any means, but someone from a mystical race that vanished from this world a millennium ago. An existence briefly mentioned having been stolen during some auction that held little significance to the world plot, appearing as some unrelated news headline the protagonist came across while browsing the internet.

In any case, even as a merman, his current state of being stuck in the literal darkness and unable to move couldn't be explained.

|Right now, your body is asleep, my dearest Host, waiting to be woken up.|

|... And exactly how is that supposed to happen?|

|All you need—|

|No, nevermind. Just tell me which mission this is.|

|I'm glad you asked, Host! This world's mission is very special! Neither Type A or Type B but Type S!|

|...|